PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake temps

Bigsi15
Sunday 10th April 2016, 19:38
Hi all
After many hours of perusing the forums about the brakes on our 850s mainly out of interest really with an aim to one-day upgrading my 302 mm fronts it got me thinking as I've been suffering with mild brake judder relating to speed that I have probably got a warped brake disc somewhere (Iv had all the disks off re seated them and made sure all of the pistons arent stuck)

Anyway did a couple of pretty hard almost emergency style stops from about 50 mph today just to see how well they actually work but found when I went round each brake to test the temperatures (roughly by hand) that my rear disks were considerably hotter than the fronts and seem to retain the heat for absolutely ages after the car had sat for a while. Brakes seem to work fine though. Anyone else noticed this? Judging by how warm they got I would almost be tempted to say maybe it is the rear disks that might warp! They definitely don't drag so aren't heating up under general driving

Doingitsideways
Sunday 10th April 2016, 20:38
The rears are solid discs, not vented, and a big old chunk of it too with the handbrake drum built in.

They'll retain the heat for longer, much like an old cast iron radiator will take an age to cool down compared to a more modern, efficient one.

Also, the fronts get a nice waft of cold air from the grilles in the front bumper

Bigsi15
Sunday 10th April 2016, 20:43
Absolutely! They're pretty hefty lol. Maybe there's a way of ducting them to cool em lol