PDA

View Full Version : S40 Motorised Aerial

Sicknote
Sunday 4th December 2005, 12:42
Hi all,

I just bought my first Volvo last week and the only problem it has is the aerial. It kinda gets stuck when it's extending and only goes up about 300mm. I've tried pulling it the rest of the way and see if it'll sort it, but then it doesn't fully retract and gets stuck at about 150mm. If I push it all the way back in, it'll retract fully by itself but again, it'll only extend to 300mm.

I've tried drenching it in WD40. Wondering how hard it is to replace the aerial itself because looking at it, part of it is all black and gunky (only adjective I can think of)

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

madness
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 15:56
take the nut off the top with a spanner, turn on radio and it should eject.
fitting , push nylon tail into the hole and turn radio off, which will pull in mast.
i bet it is bent. the clearance is very fine through the nut. only a slight bend jams it. they are not expensive and there is a modified nut available for later models only.

pzorb
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 23:38
I hear those S40's have a problem locking themselves automatically. I knew this one guy who managed to lock both the master and spare key in the car! PMSL :haha:

How's the girl going? I'm almost 100k up on you Jon! :slap:

Might be a better bet just to get a 2nd hand one, I had a 320i once upon a time with the same problem - when I took it out the gunk made the task of fixing it prohibitive. From what I can remember, getting a second hand one is suprisingly cheap - have a poke round the nearest scrap yard. Failing that, or alternatively, give Salvo a call http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/partsform.htm

Or just do what some b*gger did to me and theive the part off another similar car GRR

S40 T4
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 10:03
''I hear those S40's have a problem locking themselves automatically.''

Mine is supposed to lock itself, security feature. If i unlock the car and then not open a door/boot for 2 mins, it will lock itself. Handy if you ever forget, but i can see how problems happen!

Sicknote
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 11:15
Come to think of it, when i've manually fully extended the aerial, it is a bit bent. I've got a replacement aerial on the way, hopefully that'll fix it. I'll have a got at taking the nut off.

How is finding a replacement headlight wiper going? :haha:

In my defence, I had just bought the car the day before and hadn't got round to taking the spare key out of the glovebox yet.

Sometime soon I might start looking for a strut brace (if they do them for the S40).

madness
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 12:43
did you see my post on how to disable the locking?