Friday 8th April 2016, 20:15
Flash green my second favourite colour

Late-ish one too

Jamest5r
Friday 8th April 2016, 20:15
So.......what's wrong with it? You never buy anything sorted lol

Jamest5r
Friday 8th April 2016, 20:16
Possibly sorted the public liability insurance today (biggest pita) rest is just stuff to organise.

Once the first one is out of the way it's easier next time
Pay attention and get back on ya own thread :)

Timo.
Friday 8th April 2016, 20:29
Love that colour. Make a beast!!!

Please tell its a manual?

jamesy12345
Friday 8th April 2016, 22:49
Well that's a nice pretty colour ;)

certainly is...plenty of comments about the colour already...positive & negative!!

So.......what's wrong with it? You never buy anything sorted lol

it had been stood for a bit with a flat battery...stuck a new battery on it & shortly after got 'ANTI-SKID SERVICE REQUIRED' & 'ON-CALL SERVICE REQUIRED :D that's all so far. Oh and possibly a coolant leak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVVplAweZw
(best dramatic music I could find)

although it's been shimmed so should be OK..!!

Love that colour. Make a beast!!!

Please tell its a manual?

Thanks! Tis a manual sir

craigoodwood
Saturday 9th April 2016, 00:12
you aint right :lol::lol::lol:

Doingitsideways
Saturday 9th April 2016, 00:34
Looks alreet :)

Pinup_gal
Saturday 9th April 2016, 19:14
ours is flash green too ;)

What colour interior has that one got? Looks like blue from the pic. Only bit I don't like is the colour coded door and bumper strips.

jamesy12345
Saturday 9th April 2016, 20:37
you aint right :lol::lol::lol:

not wrong there mate, promised myself I would sell two cars & only managed to get rid of the 480. Two more need to go really...if I was sensible I would sell the 21 Quadra but I didn't get where I am today by being sensible, wherever that is

Looks alreet :)

cheers fella it's not a bad bus!

ours is flash green too ;)

What colour interior has that one got? Looks like blue from the pic. Only bit I don't like is the colour coded door and bumper strips.

I remember you or Rich saying, obviously you have good taste

Interior is dark blue yes. Aye not 100% sold on the colour coded bits & bobs, doesn't look to bad in the flesh

///////////////

RX7 manages 22 mpg although that is going steady, push the R a bit & easy to get below 20...! Not a bad mover for a big car

Markyb
Saturday 9th April 2016, 22:06
Mines sat at 17.5 ish, but I only do approx 50miles a week to and from work

jamesy12345
Saturday 9th April 2016, 22:17
Mines sat at 17.5 ish, but I only do approx 50miles a week to and from work

That was thrashing it a bit around familiar roads in Durham, to see how it compares to other cars. Went through a stretch of (private) dual carriageway at 95 without getting too wobbly. In the r5 on the same bit of road, 70 feels like a land speed record...it's a short, uphill bumpy section with 3 bends. I've yet to take it on the real tester, where the s70 can go through at 120. Another private single carriageway - uphill again but straight & fairly smooth

Harvey
Saturday 9th April 2016, 22:23
These cars are very deceptive, When driving fast you just dont think you are until you look at the speedo , exhaust is not stock ?.

jamesy12345
Saturday 9th April 2016, 22:27
These cars are very deceptive, When driving fast you just dont think you are until you look at the speedo , exhaust is not stock ?.

You're right there Harvey caught me out a few times already. Ferrita cat back it is & if I'm honest suspect too much back pressure - very quiet for a performance exhaust

Ettienne
Saturday 9th April 2016, 22:49
You're right there Harvey caught me out a few times already. Ferrita cat back it is & if I'm honest suspect too much back pressure - very quiet for a performance exhaust

I prefer the BSR system to the Ferrita dp and catback I had, the Ferrita came alive at higher rpm and both sound good in the hindhead tunnel.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 10th April 2016, 07:43
Nice little project James. If that's genuine very rare to see such a low mileage example! Are they 17" pegs?

jamesy12345
Sunday 10th April 2016, 23:50
Nice little project James. If that's genuine very rare to see such a low mileage example! Are they 17" pegs?

Thanks very much, genuine AFAIK. Checks out OK with service history & also MOT history. Yes mate 17's

don kalmar union
Wednesday 13th April 2016, 10:49
That looks to be a good one, low mileage and otherwise tidy.

The number of buyers in the market for these 'R' cars appears to be keeping prices up a bit. It is disconcerting that some potential buyers are finding some real dogs for sale at high prices where the owners have covered up problems, often of their own making.

Some of these previous owners can only be described as dreamers who attempted modifications, both mechanical and software related, sometimes encouraged by unscrupulous and incompetent traders, sometimes off their own backs. It is becoming apparent that some have tried to cover up by returning their vehicles to what may just approximate to standard, but there is always the nagging doubt that some problems still lie in wait for the unsuspecting new owners.

Hopefully this one is not one of those and you will have many years of trouble free ownership.

If you are ever considering any modifications of your own then I can offer various bits and pieces, in particular MTE's very well received software for increased engine outputs and Ferrita exhausts. If you were to consider anything beyond stage 1 you would need to add a special downpipe to the Ferrita cat back that is already on the car.

If you ever harbour any doubts or might want to check provenance further then it might well help you if you were to post up some pictures showing the full registration plate as that might prompt some helpful contributions. Might also be worth posting up at t5d5 as there are a few owners warm and comfortable there who do not use this august site.

Don.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 13th April 2016, 13:21
That looks to be a good one, low mileage and otherwise tidy.

The number of buyers in the market for these 'R' cars appears to be keeping prices up a bit. It is disconcerting that some potential buyers are finding some real dogs for sale at high prices where the owners have covered up problems, often of their own making.

Some of these previous owners can only be described as dreamers who attempted modifications, both mechanical and software related, sometimes encouraged by unscrupulous and incompetent traders, sometimes off their own backs. It is becoming apparent that some have tried to cover up by returning their vehicles to what may just approximate to standard, but there is always the nagging doubt that some problems still lie in wait for the unsuspecting new owners.

Hopefully this one is not one of those and you will have many years of trouble free ownership.

If you are ever considering any modifications of your own then I can offer various bits and pieces, in particular MTE's very well received software for increased engine outputs and Ferrita exhausts. If you were to consider anything beyond stage 1 you would need to add a special downpipe to the Ferrita cat back that is already on the car.

If you ever harbour any doubts or might want to check provenance further then it might well help you if you were to post up some pictures showing the full registration plate as that might prompt some helpful contributions. Might also be worth posting up at t5d5 as there are a few owners warm and comfortable there who do not use this august site.

Don.

Thanks for the offer, Don, it is a car known to this forum & probably T5D5 - full reg is OV54 CGY. It's my habit not to post pictures of reg plates although probably doesn't make any odds. I think it has a downpipe on it - ATE rings a bell? Certainly it can be made to overboost a bit if you give it the beans at almost 1 bar although the car is not mapped. Probably just the effect of the larger downpipe so I haven't been 'dropping the hammer' (previous owner warned me about this) until either I get a map on it or take the down pipe off.

The only people I know of that have worked on it hardware wise are Shem did some work on it & possibly Tim Williams shimmed it. Shems done work for me before he's a star man. Tim I've never met him but his reputation goes before him

About tuning it I don't know tbh.....I agreed to buy it prior to finding out I may get pumped (fired) in June, but decided to go ahead anyway & see where it took me. First port of call will be upping the brakes somehow - don't get me wrong they are not crap just climbing out of a Renault 5 into this needs a massive change in braking style!! Renault needs a right leg like Nadzeya Ostapchuk (Belarusian shot putter) but doesn't half pull it up sharp. Maybe I've been spoilt by the AP's that Yosser put on the S70 below

So...short version is work in progress!

jamesy12345
Friday 15th April 2016, 09:36
Switched my AA membership over to this car...including the Parts & Labour cover...130 quid a year. I'm ready! The radiator hasn't been replaced on this car since new so coolant being low may be down to that & anyway reading LeeT5, Yosser & everyone else's accounts of P2 cars means that I am expecting more repairs than the P80s

I haven't been a member of the AA for years but LeeT5's thread & a guy who has opened a garage near me (ex-AA guy) have convinced me otherwise

Actually I was talking ££££££££ above - the car is mapped :) mildly so. Maximum boost as mentioned near 1 bar

Biff
Friday 15th April 2016, 13:22
Looks tidy mate, I'd just want bigger wheels.
does this mean I can have your S70R now then?

Doingitsideways
Friday 15th April 2016, 13:37

Tradition dictates that Jamesy disposes of his former hacks at my gaff :lol:

jamesy12345
Friday 15th April 2016, 13:45
Looks tidy mate, I'd just want bigger wheels.

Cheers fella aye they do look better with the 18's on. Cheaper tyres though! Ride is also pretty good. Better than my last S60 although that was a dawg

I'm waiting to see if I get pumped, Biff, then will make a Decision. I'd be offering it back to Mr Yosser if I did go that way. I do like the S60 but worried whether it will take the punishment expected of it!!

I'm all for maintaining well respected historic traditions, but surely your drive is full like a choc-a-bloc right now? :lol:

Ettienne
Friday 15th April 2016, 15:09

Although i don't think you'll be that lucky this time

jamesy12345
Friday 15th April 2016, 15:36
Although i don't think you'll be that lucky this time

I don't mind giving out when I'm flush but not when I'm on the bones of me arse :lol:

Harvey
Friday 15th April 2016, 19:35
I don't mind giving out when I'm flush but not when I'm on the bones of me arse :lol:
And you got a P2 ........:doh:

Doingitsideways
Friday 15th April 2016, 20:26
... surely your drive is full like a choc-a-bloc right now? :lol:

My drive, my Dad's, half the car park at me ma's, father in law's drive, got one on Tomcat's drive...

Hmm... Wander if the mother in law has room??

Better leave that question unasked, methinks.

Someone actually asked me today how many I have now.
I said I don't honestly know! :lol:

Ettienne
Friday 15th April 2016, 21:41
Most I had is 6 now down to 4 (much easier to look after)

jamesy12345
Friday 15th April 2016, 22:21
Most I had is 6 now down to 4 (much easier to look after)

I was at 6 with the 480 & the Quadra but one is gone and the other will be soon...

Ettienne
Friday 15th April 2016, 23:55
I find it's too many to look after, always chasing your tail if things need doing

jamesy12345
Saturday 16th April 2016, 08:20
I find it's too many to look after, always chasing your tail if things need doing

Agree with you there...I'm trying to get to 2 that do everything I want (practical, fast, reliable, interesting, easy to work on blah blah) but it isn't working

Doingitsideways
Saturday 16th April 2016, 10:00
Agree with you there...I'm trying to get to 2 that do everything I want (practical, fast, reliable, interesting, easy to work on blah blah) but it isn't working

Trouble is you're like me.

Great at buying, s#*t at selling.

jamesy12345
Saturday 16th April 2016, 10:24
Trouble is you're like me.

Great at buying, s#*t at selling.

:lol: apart from the being good at buying bit you got me to a 'T' there

Ettienne
Saturday 16th April 2016, 12:53

S70r should be pretty easy to work on much less hassle than a p2, both yours are too far off then an easier life with just cleaning (if that's easy lol)

jamesy12345
Saturday 16th April 2016, 14:40
S70r should be pretty easy to work on much less hassle than a p2, both yours are too far off then an easier life with just cleaning (if that's easy lol)

Yes fella I think that will win it in the end. Esp with news of a further pay cut coming my way

jamesy12345
Wednesday 28th September 2016, 09:21
Didn't realize it had been so long since any updates! 20% pay cut btw

Just recently I got the car dropped off at Shem's trying to trace that water leak. Hopefully just the rad or turbo coolant pipes.............

Ettienne
Wednesday 28th September 2016, 12:25

Just recently I got the car dropped off at Shem's trying to trace that water leak. Hopefully just the rad or turbo coolant pipes.............

Ouch! On the pay, I bought mine with a suspected liner crack but it's the waterpump knackered. I'll fit genuine or skf (Halfords on it) and can't really say about water usage but didn't look to be using any.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 28th September 2016, 13:08
Ouch! On the pay, I bought mine with a suspected liner crack but it's the waterpump knackered. I'll fit genuine or skf (Halfords on it) and can't really say about water usage but didn't look to be using any.

thanks I hope it is something relatively simple like that! It has been shimmed so hopefully nothing to do with the liners. If it isn't something simple then I'll ask Shem if he get a sniff test or similar done on it

Harvey
Wednesday 28th September 2016, 18:30

Mine started to loose a very small amount of coolant but couldn't find where it was going, I always keep it on the top of M on min mark on the tank when parked in its normal spot but over a couple of weeks it was dropping to the middle of the M then just before I had the intercooler fitted I found a drop of coolant under the radiator, The core was leaking near the lower hose and near the top hose , not the end tanks .
I still did 230 miles and it didn't drop much so a very small loss.
also have a look at the lower hose as mine was worn half through near the P clip on the gearbox.
Do hope it's just the radiator or hose nice easy fix.

Tim Williams
Wednesday 28th September 2016, 20:21
The rad or the hoses to the turbo are the most likely culprits. I'd put a new cap on it as well whilst at it.

jamesy12345
Thursday 29th September 2016, 10:52
Thanks Harvey & Tim for comments. Will do about the cap as not sure if it's been replaced recently

LeeT5
Friday 30th September 2016, 09:30
Thanks Harvey & Tim for comments. Will do about the cap as not sure if it's been replaced recently

Rule No1....."If in any doubt, take it OUT!"

This rule can also be applied to other situations (Pinup Gal, cover yer ears :P)

jamesy12345
Friday 30th September 2016, 09:55
Rule No1....."If in any doubt, take it OUT!"

This rule can also be applied to other situations (Pinup Gal, cover yer ears :P)

I concur. If it's just the cap I'll be a happy chappy

As the old saying goes: quick reactions, no unexpected babies

Doingitsideways
Friday 30th September 2016, 13:13
quick reactions, no unexpected babies

Nice rhyme :lol:

Ettienne
Friday 30th September 2016, 16:22
Only made 4 flash green manuals in 2005

jamesy12345
Friday 30th September 2016, 16:25
Only made 4 flash green manuals in 2005

A rare beast then

Ettienne
Friday 30th September 2016, 16:46
A rare beast then

Quite a few in 04 lol

jamesy12345
Friday 30th September 2016, 17:30
Quite a few in 04 lol

oh maybe just not popular in '05 :lol:

Ettienne
Friday 30th September 2016, 17:46
oh maybe just not popular in '05 :lol:

Run out colour

jamesy12345
Sunday 13th November 2016, 08:17
The man with sniff test he say no hydrocarbons in coolant - so looks like HG and liners are OK

http://media.lolusercontent.com/api/embedly/1/image/resize?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the-arcade.ie%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2Fgood_news_everyone .jpg&key=a45e967db0914c7fb472fd4381e6c85b&width=425

Now I know what it isn't...expansion tank/cap, radiator next most likely suspects.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to consider selling the car. The car has a bit of a history & I hope no-one is offended by a sale - it's just one too many cars for me & a relatively large amount of money that I could do with right now. I'll advertise on the forum shortly. If it doesn't sell I'd be happy to keep it & get rid of my daily Scooby

jamesy12345
Thursday 29th December 2016, 07:21
Forgot to update - Shem tightened a hose clip on the thermostat housing & it appears the coolant leak is no more. Something to be monitored though.

Other minor stuff included engine bay strut bar bushings, Loctite on the driveshaft bolts, loose heat shield on the exhaust...& the fancy Halo Prosport boost gauge is buggered for some reason.

Also as mentioned elsewhere, the car was a little low on boost due to a boost leak. That was sorted then spiking started to appear, Shem made some adjustments to the map (including making the throttle response more linear) & all is good now.

WRT selling, I've had a little bit of interest - with one chap a bit more serious than others & should be going to view the car shortly.

Harvey
Thursday 29th December 2016, 14:59
Hope the sale goes to plan . But as you are away it just makes it that little bit harder.

jamesy12345
Thursday 29th December 2016, 15:56
Hope the sale goes to plan . But as you are away it just makes it that little bit harder.

cheers & very true! It can be a nightmare trying to get anything done. But it's my choice of life I suppose no good moaning about it :) a bit of patience & a good guy like Shem helps

NECC
Monday 2nd January 2017, 20:00
Good look with the sale Jamesy