PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt replacement quote

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 4th April 2016, 15:12
Does anyone know what the guide time is, that a garage would estimate the job by, for replacing the belt, tensioners and pump on a T5? In my case a Ph2 2.3 V70.

What would you expect to pay at an Indy for the labour only?

My usual garage have quoted £150 labour only. They aren't a Volvo indy but they are an absolutely brilliant old school family business that I've used for a few years. Just curious as to whether they are quoting roughly the right sort of ball-park figure (obviously depends on hourly rate I know).

Harvey
Monday 4th April 2016, 16:31
Parts are around £85 from volvo.
Last garage that did it for me charged 1.5 hr time to do it without water pump.

M-R-P
Monday 4th April 2016, 17:01
Cost me 190 all-in a few years ago but I didn't have the pump changed.

RollingThunder
Monday 4th April 2016, 17:22
Belt only is pretty straight forward, its the pump that is the PITA. Access to it is a pig and to prevent leaks you need to clean the mating face scrupulously. IIRC it took me a (long) half day to do my last one - a P1 V70R AWD. I image the P2 will be very similar, so if your indy is charging say £40-50/hr then it sounds reasonable IMHO.

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 4th April 2016, 17:43
Ah, that's interesting about the pump as I didn't know it was a sod to do. Assumed it would only be another 10 minutes to swap that out.

htomi
Monday 4th April 2016, 17:56
As an advice, same time go for the wpump replacement too. Better to be safe than sorry.
I would say, 2 hrs in total with the wpump together for a good mechanic.

Tim Williams
Tuesday 5th April 2016, 08:04
1.2-1.3 hours is enough time to do just a cam belt kit on your car. I would only change the water pump if it needs doing as most of the original ones outlast the engines, most cheap pumps last up to 2 years. If having a water pump at the same time it should add no more that 0.6 hrs at the very most NOT the full time to change a pump from scratch.

htomi
Wednesday 6th April 2016, 18:16
Yeah, noticed the same, ex the original wpump lasts very long opposite to the replacement one. I got the replacement pump from Volvo and lasted only for 75k miles vs the orig one which was taken out at 100k miles.

Kingsford G
Thursday 7th April 2016, 22:06
Id charge 2 hours max which is 80 quid.

Gold 'N' Brown
Tuesday 26th April 2016, 15:48
Had the work done. Charged £161 for the full job inc water pump, plus doing the aux belt tensioner too (EDIT: that's labour only. I got a Gates Powergrip kit from eBay for about £80). A few quid of that was for Anti Freeze, though I've no idea why they needed to drop any out for the job, unless they completely disconnected the reservoir to get it out of the way.

On the plus side, engine seems a bit more peppy, sort of less laggy at low rpm, though maybe that's a placebo. Early indications are possible slight improvement in MPG (to the order of maybe 5%). So I wonder if the timing was slightly off before.

On the downside, it hasn't cured the rough bearing type noise I've had for a while.