PDA

View Full Version : Ecu issues with Rica chip

Storm1n
Friday 25th March 2016, 22:23
Hi all I have a M plate 94 850 auto T5. It breaks up badly under acceleration with the modded ecu. I have managed to get a std ecu fitted and it runs perfectly. Do you think it's the chip or is it the ecu it's located in. Any response would be great as I really don't want to waste money having it removed and transferred to a new unit only to find out I wasted my time.

John

Tim Williams
Friday 25th March 2016, 22:52
It's more likely to be an ignition related misfire, cap, leads and rotor arm are most likely.

Storm1n
Saturday 26th March 2016, 11:47
It's more likely to be an ignition related misfire, cap, leads and rotor arm are most likely.

Hi Tim yep that's what I thought but I have replaced everything. Plugs,leads,cap,rotar arm,coil pack & even the fuel pump and filter. So I thought it could be the ecu or possibly the map on the chip has somehow failed, if that can happen over time. Perhaps even a cracked circuit board. Would be good if I had another car to try it in.

Tim Williams
Saturday 26th March 2016, 19:51
Try another remapped ECU then.

LeeT5
Sunday 27th March 2016, 13:53
It's commonplace that a remap or chipped ECU will often unearth hidden gremlins on a stock car.

Assuming you carried out a full 'Stage 0' before you added the chipped ECU??

......if not, you should remove and refit the stock ECU and then complete a full 'Stage 0'. Then you'll be in the best place to start modding.

Storm1n
Sunday 27th March 2016, 20:37
Well I can only assume that did happen as I have a receipt from Rica when the previous owner had it mapped. Anyway having other issues too now so need to get them sorted. Thanks guys for your help

craigoodwood
Sunday 27th March 2016, 21:07
it wouldnt hurt to replace all vacuum lines too as the PCV, the fuel pressure regulator and the turbo wastegate work off the vacuum :B_thumb:

LeeT5
Monday 28th March 2016, 08:37
Well I can only assume that did happen as I have a receipt from Rica when the previous owner had it mapped. Anyway having other issues too now so need to get them sorted. Thanks guys for your help

So the receipt from RICA states they carried out a 'stage 0', I find that hard to believe!

A word to the wise......Never assume anything.

Good luck fixing your car mate :)