PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Air Quality Sensor replacement

htomi
Sunday 28th February 2016, 18:52
All,

The AQS wasn't working in my car since my ownership started. Based on another forum recommendation, I purchased the VW part 1K0907659 (VW Golf MK5,Scirocco, Passat, Caddy) AQS unit from ebay for £12.99.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Climate-Quality-Sensor-1K0907659-For-VW-Golf-MK5-6-Scirocco-Passat-Caddy-/161535475644?hash=item259c43bfbc:g:EbEAAOSwYGFUvz6 d

Ordered at the 17th of Feb and received at the 25th of Feb. Installed today - working perfectly and finally my car is completely error free :)
The original Volvo part costs around 2xx €.

Based on the other forum comments, it may not going work with 2005+ (facelift) cars, but for the price worth the try.

Both, the VW and Volvo parts are manufactured by a company called Paragon. http://www.paragon.ag/en.html

As far as I see, the AQS has been discussed here as well, however nothing was mentioned about the VW part replacement possibility.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51119-Air-Quality-Sensor/page2

volvokid
Sunday 28th February 2016, 19:38
So no issues at all? Do you notice it working?

Yosser
Sunday 28th February 2016, 19:49
Did this to the V70D5 with no issues, haven't found a suitable replacement for the S60R yet - although I'm convinced that there must be one out there.

After fixing it on the d5 I've never been aware of it working, maybe it doesn't.......... :D

Harvey
Sunday 28th February 2016, 19:54
still working in my motor ..;)

htomi
Monday 29th February 2016, 08:18
Yep, working as it should. Just entered into the company parking lot and heard the flaps were moving to close position due to a smelly car was riding front of me.

LeeT5
Monday 29th February 2016, 20:37
still working in my motor ..;)

How do you know it's working? What happens when it's working?
My AQS threw a code years ago and I replaced it with a genuine part. Can't say I've really noticed any difference but the codes not returned.

Harvey
Monday 29th February 2016, 21:50
How do you know it's working? What happens when it's working?
My AQS threw a code years ago and I replaced it with a genuine part. Can't say I've really noticed any difference but the codes not returned.

No code..:gossip:

LeeT5
Tuesday 1st March 2016, 05:28
No code..:gossip:

Eh????

Ettienne
Tuesday 1st March 2016, 13:19
Might check mine over a a wee if they need them, think xc90 might

Harvey
Tuesday 1st March 2016, 13:21
Eh????

No codes, so Working I take it..

LeeT5
Tuesday 1st March 2016, 17:48
No codes, so Working I take it..

That wasn't what I asked. No there isn't any codes but even when there was, I can't says as I notice any difference...which is why I asked......

"How do you know it's working? What happens when it's working?".

htomi
Tuesday 1st March 2016, 20:04
As stated above, the flaps went to close position, once I entered into the company parking lot, right after an older car which was a bit smelly from the blueish smoke from the exhaust.
So I took this sign as working AQS and not just no codes.

LeeT5
Tuesday 1st March 2016, 22:49
As stated above, the flaps went to close position, once I entered into the company parking lot, right after an older car which was a bit smelly from the blueish smoke from the exhaust.
So I took this sign as working AQS and not just no codes.

How do you know the flaps were closed?

htomi
Wednesday 2nd March 2016, 08:21
I hear a buzzing electric motor sound from the passenger side dashboard. You can try it yourself, just switch to manual mode and the electric motor should close the flaps. When the AQS is working, then it does exactly the same - once bad odor detected.

volvokid
Wednesday 2nd March 2016, 10:15
You will hear a different sound from the blowers also

htomi
Wednesday 2nd March 2016, 16:08
Just to clarify, the flaps I'm talking about is the one below the plastic cover within the engine bay

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21778&d=1371411585

Harvey
Wednesday 2nd March 2016, 20:06
Does the led change in the manual button when it works ?

dme123
Wednesday 2nd March 2016, 21:47
Stupid question maybe, but I have an error code on my '04 T5 about the AQS sensor and for that cost I might as well replace it: Where *is* the sensor and is it straightforward to remove and replace?

htomi
Thursday 3rd March 2016, 08:16
Does the led change in the manual button when it works ?
No, I believe it shouldn't.

htomi
Thursday 3rd March 2016, 08:35
Stupid question maybe, but I have an error code on my '04 T5 about the AQS sensor and for that cost I might as well replace it: Where *is* the sensor and is it straightforward to remove and replace?

The sensor is located below the little black dome. Take a look on the pic within my post (16), where you see the disconnected plug . Grab the plug, then twist it clockwise(?) 90 degrees aprox, then you should be able to pull it downwards and voila. Press the clip on the side and the sensor is out.
Before all of that, you have to remove the the wiper arms, plastic scuttle cover to get access to the area. Make sure you purchase 3-5 scuttle panel clips from Volvo beforehand. Easy job, takes around 10 mins from start to finish.