PDA

View Full Version : C70 Mk1 brake pads and disks

burgess
Thursday 18th February 2016, 03:37
Ok another question disks and pads for C70 2.0:
I've been viewing disks and pads, any recommendations or experiences with regards to these brands
Pagid, Eicher, Brembo

Burgess

martin_r_smith
Thursday 18th February 2016, 10:10
Volvo ones are very popular

burgess
Thursday 18th February 2016, 14:35
Volvo ones are very popular

Thanks for the response Martin, I intend to fit OEM Volvo components later on this year, or if there is enough thickness to have the original disks refaced. However, as the MOT and annual expenses are not too far-off and wallet lookin a bit thin, I'm weighing-up the pros and cons of fitting any of these cheaper brands of disks and pads, in the light of which I wondered about how effective they are.

Pagid, Eicher, Brembo

Burgess

jamesy12345
Thursday 18th February 2016, 16:14
I went for V50 T5 items myself, they don't fit the P80 cars without different carriers though (carriers I got from AshDVS on here)....OE Volvo stuff apart from that

Wobbly Dave
Friday 19th February 2016, 20:37
Ferodo DS2500 pads are good enough for fast road use. I've even used them on track days.

martin_r_smith
Friday 19th February 2016, 21:51
Volvo items really aren't that much more (if at all) than some of the brands you mentioned

burgess
Sunday 21st February 2016, 00:08
Volvo items really aren't that much more (if at all) than some of the brands you mentioned

Yeah thanks Martin,

I need the car in serviceable condition by Ester as I intend to search for some place to relocate to away from here, re: neighbours from hell!
Also may require surgical procedure about that time, after which restrictions on doing anything manual...hope not. But as I cannot get the car into my back yard because of the NFH the car has to be in road worthy condition i.e., pass the MOT.

My rational:
Present circumstances, high expenditure costs between February and April, to include:
Insurance,
Road Tax,
MOT

Full service by Volvo Main dealer
Service advisory:-
#1 Brakes seizing/binding
#2 Cracks in tread, all tyres
#3 play in one track-rod end. Fitted by Volvo dealer £115.00 >:(
#4 Battery two cells dead,

Tyres on the car when purchased had plenty of tread depth, one tyre now ten years old. So cracks = all must be replaced.

New set of tyres...now fitted
New Varta 77Ah Battery...now fitted

Other considerations, weather conditions unpredictable, so may only be able to work on one wheel station at a time. If the rear calipers, pads, and disks are serviceable i.e., in a workable condition will clean and check functionality. If the disks need refacing or replacing, that I will do with OEM Volvo pads and disks at a later date. For now it has to be the most economic option.

Hence, with economics as the prim criterion within the time frame, I asked the specific question about these three particular brands Pagid, Eicher, Brembo, as they are were being offered by Euro Car Parts at really good discounted prices.

However, since posting this thread I have ordered the parts be here Tuesday full cost £317.51, discounted price £120.60...so with the savings made just now I will be able to fit Volvo or better pads after April, when cash flow levels out.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 21st February 2016, 01:22
If you want a hand to fit them then we can organise a day for you to come over?

burgess
Wednesday 24th February 2016, 00:12
The parts ordered from Euro-Car-parts arrived today, the DHL currier managed to deliver them to the wrong house, the road has three name-changes within 200 yards, but only one name plate per section and three sets of repeating house numbers, even so, his satnav ought to have pinpointed my house...maybe it didn't understand Cymraeg.

A quick visual and all four disks look ok, the Eicher front pads look good, however, the pagid rear pads, the friction material does not come right through the keying holes in the backing plate. The backplate is 5mm thick, but only 1.5mm of material in those holes...disconcerting. So, will need to talk with Euro-Car-Parts tomorrow.