PDA

View Full Version : E5 bolts on abs unit

Dannyboy7
Monday 15th February 2016, 18:28
Hi I'm having trouble removing the e5 bolts with the e5 torx bit. I've tried two different bits and they don't seem to fit on positively at all. They just float on top of the bolt with no real grip or finding the bolt head to turn it. They arnt worn just not fitting well any suggestions please. Greatly appreciated.
Dan

jamesy12345
Monday 15th February 2016, 18:33
Should be this one mate, unless someone has put a different bolt in there

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Volvo_Parts/Torx_E5.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Volvo_Parts/Volvo_ABS_removal.htm

Or some people use a 4mm socket but that can damage the head of a torx bolt

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=173546

Dannyboy7
Monday 15th February 2016, 18:52
Yes that's what I've got but when I put it on the head it seems to be sitting off of it and not seating properly I'll try again next few days. Thanks for the picture. I'll need new discs as well they are 302mm. Then I'll go for an mot.

jamesy12345
Monday 15th February 2016, 18:58
Yes that's what I've got but when I put it on the head it seems to be sitting off of it and not seating properly I'll try again next few days. Thanks for the picture. I'll need new discs as well they are 302mm. Then I'll go for an mot.

maybe someone put a 4/5 mm or similar size imperial (5/32") bolt in there. Worst case use a dremel or similar to cut a slot in the bolt head so you can get a screwdriver bit into it

Good luck with the MOT

crissymck
Monday 15th February 2016, 19:09
Some e5 sockets have a concave face like the one in the pic above. If the bolts are worn it's better if you get one with a flat face if that makes any sense it grips better. I can't find a pic of one but they are available.

jamesy12345
Monday 15th February 2016, 20:32
Some e5 sockets have a concave face like the one in the pic above. If the bolts are worn it's better if you get one with a flat face if that makes any sense it grips better. I can't find a pic of one but they are available.

grind it flat

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55943198.jpg

crissymck
Monday 15th February 2016, 20:35
That would be easier :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 16th February 2016, 16:42
I have spare bolts if you damage yours

Dannyboy7
Tuesday 16th February 2016, 19:30
Saturday is My best free day ill try it then plus put on some new front discs. Ive seen standard ones from Pfs so ill try those.ill order tmrw.

Dannyboy7
Monday 22nd February 2016, 15:17
Hi all i got the ABS unit off finally. One bolt heard was rank from the start so i Chiseled a slot on the side and then it game off-great. The intake pipe work had to be moved as it restricted the ability to get to the e5 bolts. The jubilee clip on the turbo is a pain to get to as its pointing towards the bulkhead. Anyway so any recommendations who do I send the abs unit to or just go and find a person from eBay?
Thanks dan

Dannyboy7
Tuesday 23rd February 2016, 14:20
Hi Dave I've damaged possibly two bolts for the abs do you still have spare.?
Dan

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 23rd February 2016, 16:51
yup buried somewhere but I defo have them.

Send me an address & I'll stick a few in the post.

Dannyboy7
Tuesday 23rd February 2016, 17:17
Hi Dave thanks, message sent.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th February 2016, 09:42
I found 1 in my big box of Volvo bolts - I know I have a few more. Please bear with me.

Dannyboy7
Wednesday 24th February 2016, 16:06
Thanks , just been looking at this module. The recess has some signs off silicon/gasket in it. Is this from the factory or does this show signs of a previous repair. I was expecting no gasket but a solid mould recess ?
Dan.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th February 2016, 16:56
take a photo & I will tell you. The ATE lids are glued on. If the washers on the pin posts are absent probably means its been done before. And if it has WD scorched into the lid then it will be one of mine.

Dannyboy7
Wednesday 24th February 2016, 17:27
Ok alright the compressed washers ar still on it and it looks like a type of glue so ok maybe not touched. This car was my brothers and he was the second owner and it's not been repaired he said.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th February 2016, 15:00
Well if you ever need it fixing - I can still do that. I was reading and if the top of the bolt becomes worn as the heads are tapered you can use an E6 to release it. As this came from a respected Volvo site - I have no reason to doubt it. Heck I may even test it later.

Dannyboy7
Thursday 25th February 2016, 17:53
Thanks Dave but I've sent it away as it was sealed etc. The e5 worked ok but asi say I destroyed one bolt head at least.funny needing security bolts and such a small size.