PDA

View Full Version : Weird intermittent issue, car not revving/pulling. S40 D Se 2005

Judd3rman
Saturday 6th February 2016, 13:28
Hey guys, I confess I'm a newbie here and also to volvo's, was hoping to get a tiny bit of advice on something?

I have just acquired a 2005 Volvo D Se, 2.0. Occasionally when you start the car it doesnt pull properly nor rev to above 3000. It still goes, just very slowly.

If you pull over and re-start the car, it seems normal again. Previous owner says the EGR valve has recently been replaced and it is currently running a fraction over 1.0 bar boots.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Also, who is best to speak to about some custom audio in an S40? Headunit etc.

The Thong
Saturday 6th February 2016, 18:16
Throttle body is most likely the issue. It's a common problem with them. The butterfly gate sticks because of the gunk that builds up inside. Give it a clean first, carb cleaner and an old toothbrush does the trick or buy another one and fit it. Try cleaning it first. The like below will give you an idea to what your aiming at. My 50 used to refuse to start when hot, it was caused by a grubby throttle body. I replaced it an the problem went away. It can cause starting problems too... That would be my first port of call.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155724

If it still plays up after that then it's diagnostics time

TT

Judd3rman
Saturday 6th February 2016, 23:18
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up <3

The Thong
Tuesday 9th February 2016, 20:49
Any luck??

TT

Judd3rman
Sunday 14th February 2016, 23:31
Oddly it hasnt dont it again until today, due to work i've not had daylight time to look at/clean the throttle body, but the issue seems to manifest when I go over speedbumps, park up, and then start the car again later. But the throttle body work will be looked at this week :)

Thanks so much for the advice!