PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Rev return when changing gear.

cammiet
Monday 1st February 2016, 18:04
Hi Guys.
Iv noticed when changing gears in my 1996 850 T5 the revs seem to take their time to return down the range befor shifting into the next gear. Does anyone have a simple conclusion as to what this could be. My initial thoughts where too much fuel being fed in or something to do with the Rica Remap. It really doesn't bother me as I don't do quick gear changes anyway but thought I'd throw it out to see what you think?

Cheers

Cammie

claymore
Monday 1st February 2016, 18:30
Idle control valve

cammiet
Monday 1st February 2016, 18:32
Cheers, It it an easy DIY fix?

claymore
Monday 1st February 2016, 18:40
you can un plug it and see how the car goes, the ecu will take a few miles to compensate.

cammiet
Monday 1st February 2016, 18:43
Right I'll give it a shot. Cheers for that mate.

dant5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2016, 07:54
The correct way to solve this fault is to clean the idle control valve with carbon cleaner or replace it.

Unplugging it will just make the engine run rough and put the engine management light on.

claymore
Tuesday 2nd February 2016, 08:21
The correct way to solve this fault is to clean the idle control valve with carbon cleaner or replace it.

Unplugging it will just make the engine run rough and put the engine management light on.

I suggested disconnecting the ICV to prove if it was the problem, I didn't suggest running the car like that indefinitely, it won't make the car run rough, but it might put a management light on. Having said that, I usually run my car with it off as I like an instant throttle drop.