PDA

View Full Version : Steering pull...

silverswedemachine
Sunday 31st January 2016, 15:41
Hi people, the blue bus is running great at the minute, but lately, well more so since i found some more boost, I am noticing a steering wheel pull in my hand when lifting off the throttle fully, cant really detect any thing when powering up. Firstly both front wishbones are new, passenger is only 3 months old and drivers got done for MoT last July, 2000 mile ago. My thoughts are either engine mount under the crank pulley allowing the engine to twist on shut off or the subframe bushes are moving. I have a rather bumpy lane getting to my garage and can feel there some movement somewhere, not a lot, but I can tell. No play with the wheels off the ground.. The car does drive fine, no shakes or bangs from the front.

Cheers

Mark

Doingitsideways
Sunday 31st January 2016, 19:08
I'd also be looking at wishbone bushes.

silverswedemachine
Monday 1st February 2016, 15:14
The wishbones are nearly new, granted I haven't looked at the drivers but I know it isn't that old. So if new bushes aren't good enough, what? Harder spec bushes or polybush??

Cheers

Mark

silverswedemachine
Monday 1st February 2016, 19:53
Just a quick look at drivers wishbone, both rubbers look perfect. Any other ideas other than wishbone??

Cheers

Mark

merc85
Monday 1st February 2016, 21:33
As you have suggested subframe bushes perhaps? Has it a strut brace? they do make a difference as do poly bushing the arms.

TenaciousC
Wednesday 3rd February 2016, 17:11
did you get it tracked after changing the lower arms?

C

silverswedemachine
Thursday 4th February 2016, 21:17
No mate I haven't had it tracked, its sort of on my list but with the steering position being central I have put it off, I do suspect its out because it doesn't feel like my old olive green estate did, in the handling... You think that would make the steering wheel pull in your hand on shut off??

cheers

Mark

TenaciousC
Friday 5th February 2016, 15:18
If you're happy that all the other suspension components are in good fettle (track rods ends, ball joints, lower arm bushes) then it's probably worth getting it done. Would recommend somewhere that does the four wheel alignment.

C

craigoodwood
Friday 5th February 2016, 15:40
Just a quick look at drivers wishbone, both rubbers look perfect. Any other ideas other than wishbone??

Cheers

Mark

it wont just be the rubber part it could be the metal sleave moving, if you can have a check of your cv joints too ive found today my ns joint is fubar i took it out reset it a bit and its changed the steering ;)

silverswedemachine
Monday 15th February 2016, 20:54
Hi all, just a quick update and for other peoples benefit, spent Sunday afternoon fitting the subframe bush inserts I recently bought out of curiosity, the bushes on the car are 20 years old now, have to say the car feels better, abit vibey at tickover but fine once moving. The subframe bushes actually were near perfect, no cracks but I'm guessing rather soft by now. Anyway the steering sloppiness going up the bumpy back lane to and from my garage has now disappeared. Only done a few miles tonight so jury is still out on my original problem of the steering pulling. Seems better anyhow, will update soon...

cheers

Mark