PDA

View Full Version : intermittant missfire and power loss

mr marshalltown
Friday 29th January 2016, 23:46
A few weeks ago when we had the storms and a lot of us were underwater i miss judged how deep the flooded road was i drove through and although i was being carefull i must have hit it around 20mph and the water must have been a ft deep and came right over my bonnet like a tidal wave then soon after my car died and i was stranded at the side of the road she wouldnt fire up at all and i thought thats it the old t5 is dead what am i gona do
anyway after a bit of fiddling about with various connections under the bonnet she fired up and i managed to get her home and for the next week or so she seemed fine but now im doing longer journeys in her for work ive noticed that now and again she misfires and back fires and looses a lot of power when i put my toe down ive also noticed a fairly strong smell of exhaust fumes sometimes when i get out as if she is running on 4cylinders sometimes and dumping fuel in the exhaust im guessing there is water in somewhere but everything looks nice and dry where it should
if anyone thinks they could shed some light on it for me id be very greatfull

Saaamon
Saturday 30th January 2016, 09:17
Check the dizzy cap as they fill up with water after hitting flood water (best to replace if it's anything other than in perfect condition), also check the airbox and make sure the filter is dry.

Shinsplintz 101
Saturday 30th January 2016, 10:35
As above but also Check the plug wells if you haven't already. Water can sit in them & cause miss fires.

TenaciousC
Wednesday 3rd February 2016, 17:14
Did it throw any codes? If water got as far as the air flow meter then it could be damaged?

C