PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Brakes!

Mart5in
Saturday 23rd January 2016, 10:27
Good morning.

Ever since I started driving my 850, I've noticed the brake pedal to be quite heavy. You really have to stamp on it if you need to stop quickly.
Recently while driving in town I note that the brake pedal is stiffer if you need to re-apply the brakes right away... as if theres not a lot of vacuum assist capacity.

So apart from checking the vacuum hose from the mani, are there any common failures with brake assistance? Its had a new ABS pump and the pump works.

Thanks in advance,

Doingitsideways
Saturday 23rd January 2016, 10:58
There's a one way valve too, so worth checking that actually works.

Also that the seal where it enters the servo is good.

Mart5in
Saturday 23rd January 2016, 11:10
There's a one way valve too, so worth checking that actually works.

Also that the seal where it enters the servo is good.

Ahh yes I forgot about that one-way valve!

I'll spray some WD40 around the servo and see if it sucks it in.

Just had a though, the revs take a wee while to drop as well, more so when cold, possible evidence of vacuum leak?

The Flying Moose
Saturday 23rd January 2016, 13:12
Definitely check the long vac hose from the master cylinder to the servo, my symptoms were identical until almost complete failure below was the cause....

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1496_zpsnrleaxzf.jpg

Doingitsideways
Saturday 23rd January 2016, 20:33
Definitely check the long vac hose from the master cylinder to the servo, my symptoms were identical until almost complete failure below was the cause....

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1496_zpsnrleaxzf.jpg

What, Jim was the cause?

Sounds about right! :lol:

Mart5in
Sunday 24th January 2016, 20:56
Is that the pipe that comes out of the servo itself? Mine looks about that size. Not had a proper look though, Idiot me decided to re-fit teh rear bench seats. What a pig of a job!

The rear bench isn't so heavy that Volvo need to spring load the damn hinge! nfdejsbgsehjkbgueabgkoaebgvjkiab

Where does the pipe come out of the manifold? I can't see it obvious, like I could on my V70.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 24th January 2016, 21:16
Is that the pipe that comes out of the servo itself? Mine looks about that size. Not had a proper look though, Idiot me decided to re-fit teh rear bench seats. What a pig of a job!

The rear bench isn't so heavy that Volvo need to spring load the damn hinge! nfdejsbgsehjkbgueabgkoaebgvjkiab

Where does the pipe come out of the manifold? I can't see it obvious, like I could on my V70.

It comes directly from the brake master cylinder connecting to a white clip into the cylinder and runs parallel to the bulkhead.