PDA

View Full Version : D5's dead- need advice and help!!!

CAMO
Tuesday 12th January 2016, 20:47
Hi, fokes,
The Mrs' S60 2.4 D5 2002 clutch has gone tonight!
Managed to tow it home.
The clutch pedal goes straight to the floor with no resistance.
It has been making a noise the last week or so, but went off when the clutch was pressed.
There seems to be some confusion if the vehicle has a Dual mass flywheel, or not????
If so the price for new ones are around £400. Holy crap!!!
Is this separate to the clutch, or do I need one of those as well????
It's not looking good!!!
It will either be 2nd hand or the car to be scrapped!!!!

cherry1809
Tuesday 12th January 2016, 21:36
It's expensive to replace (clutch and flywheel usually) but can you replace the car with another with a gauranteed good clutch?
Weigh up the costs before making a rash decision.

Orca2
Tuesday 12th January 2016, 22:11
Are you sure it's the clutch and not just the release bearing.

Dancake
Wednesday 13th January 2016, 16:34
Likely to be the slave cylinder/release bearing. Given the labour involved, you'd be better off replacing the clutch, flywheel and release bearing while the gearbox is off. If you replace just one component you don't know how long you have until another fails. Cheapest I've seen the 3 piece clutch kit and the flywheel is £557 (for LUK parts from eurocarparts). There are cheaper available, but LUK make quality parts. I think they're the oem supplier to Volvo.

CAMO
Thursday 14th January 2016, 18:24
Thanks for the sound advice everyone. I have got to confess that it is just too expensive to replace, given the age and current mileage- shame, as it's such a good motor.
Will be scrapping it, so if anyone wants a donor car, or have a clutch they want to put in it give us a shout!!!

Dancake
Thursday 14th January 2016, 21:03
You could always just wing it and fit a new release bearing. The clutch and flywheel could have life left that would do you for at least another year or so. At around £80 or so for a new release bearing, it would knock nearly £500 off the bill. The labour would still be a fair chunk though.

Orca2
Thursday 14th January 2016, 22:43
On re reading your original post , it sounds really like the release bearing , they are not that difficult to replace, If it is going to end up getting scrapped anyway you might as well split the box off and have a look. If the bearing has disintegrated there is no real reason to suspect that the clutch itself is knackered.
If you cant salvage it with a bearing you only lose a few hours of your time, there are plenty of people on here who can answer any queries you encounter.

G'wan .. You know you want to.

CAMO
Friday 15th January 2016, 23:20
It's not something I would be able and confident to do myself, so what to do??????

Orca2
Friday 15th January 2016, 23:53
Is there a local grease monkey who would split the box off for you to have a look
It shouldn't cost much or take long jeez if you were anywhere near Glasgow I know a guy who would do it for about a hundred . At least you would know if it's the bearing or the clutch .
I spend part of the summer in Porthleven most years I would crack it off for you myself it's a pain in the ass to lose the car over what might not be much to sort out.
Maybe some of the Cornish boys know someone who could diagnose it without too much outlay.

Redbrick
Saturday 16th January 2016, 01:07
He's a fair trek from Cornwall but I'm sure Tim Williams in Leicestershire could do this for you.

He might have 2nd hand DMF's and clutches available.

It will have a DMF but once off it can be tested to see if it is within tolerance, depends on mileage and how much abuse it has had.

CAMO
Saturday 16th January 2016, 09:24
I know what your saying, but were on a tight schedule, as the Mrs needs a car for her business. Quite frankly I don't think that I have the time or money to invest in the car, but I am offering it up as a donor car or if someone wants to take it on the do the clutch give me a shout. I will be looking only £300!!!

S1mon
Monday 18th January 2016, 23:11
I know what your saying, but were on a tight schedule, as the Mrs needs a car for her business. Quite frankly I don't think that I have the time or money to invest in the car, but I am offering it up as a donor car or if someone wants to take it on the do the clutch give me a shout. I will be looking only £300!!!

Got any photos inside and out? Condition / colour of interior and exterior?

mike 850
Monday 18th January 2016, 23:18
I maybe interested, either helping you if you can get the car to mount hawke or buying the car off you, let me know

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 19th January 2016, 00:36
Emlyn was after a D5 engine, wasn't he?

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 19th January 2016, 10:10
Emlyn was after a D5 engine, wasn't he?

Mines sorted now thanks matey. Fitted a new engine, clutch and flywheel two weeks ago.

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 19th January 2016, 10:33
Mines sorted now thanks matey. Fitted a new engine, clutch and flywheel two weeks ago.

No worries, Fella.
Good to hear :)