PDA

View Full Version : 700 versus 900 series suspension / engine interchagability?

Basil
Monday 11th January 2016, 13:39
Let us say we have 740, 760 and 940 and 960 S90 and V90 models. What suspension, (spring, damper and roll bar rates aside), will interchange? Am I correct in thinking some early IRS cars could have a live axle retrofitted using stock chassis pick up points, and vice versa? If so what were the date changes, and what was added / removed to stop this swapping?

As an aside could one fit a 4 cylinder red block in what was originally a 6 cylinder late 900 series or S90 / V90? If easily achievable would you need to swap the engine cross members?

Why do I ask? I am about to spend quite a lot making a nice fast road car out of a 1987 LHD 740 estate. Fit a B23 based turbo engine, modern engine management, T5 gearbox, LSD, Koni suspension, some Rose jointing, big brakes, blah blah. If the shell was badly damaged, became rusty, or I just got sick of it I am wondering how much freedom of choice I would have to find another, maybe a saloon, that I could swap all the expensive bits into? I chose this LHD one even though I am in the predominantly RHD UK, as it seemed it would give me more freedom for a remote wastegate turbo set up. The last Volvo I did big mods to was a 244, and I had to convert that to LHD to make a sensible turbo installation with a remote wastegate and decent flowing and diameter turbo downpipe. The steering column in a RHD 240 series makes things very tight for remote wastegate set ups.