PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 850R 140k Temperature probelm

bonnietiler
Friday 11th December 2015, 15:53
Hi, just back from a crosscountry trip to Derby..car ran like a trooper as usual...but....
Stuck in a monumental traffic jam and I noticed the temp gauge start to rise a little, normally occupies the bottom third..it crept up to over half..and I could see steam emitting from the expansion tank side.
I stopped and had a look see and couldn't really see a lot of coolant loss...any ideas..I've bought an expansion cap....
any help much appreciated
Bonnietiler

Nealevo
Friday 11th December 2015, 16:12
Did the fans cut in???

bonnietiler
Friday 11th December 2015, 17:07
Now that is a very good question... I don't know. I shall start it up tomorrow and leave it ticking over and check.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers
Bonnietiler

Biff
Friday 11th December 2015, 17:17
It will take a while for them to cut in.
Could well be the cap on your bottle, the seals are crap & can loose water through them. Therefore steam would escape also.

martybelfastt5
Friday 11th December 2015, 18:34
or a cracked bottle they crack round the base of the lid thread neck

Ettienne
Friday 11th December 2015, 20:27
What cap you got? Green one?

bonnietiler
Friday 11th December 2015, 22:35
Yes it's a green one.
Bonnietiler

kyboy
Saturday 12th December 2015, 01:45
Green ones the up grade from the grey one apparently I've also had a tank crack around the base of the threads too making it look like the caps failed!

Shinsplintz 101
Saturday 12th December 2015, 08:16
Sounds to me like you've got a stuck or faulty thermostat. The temp gauge should sit at half way all the time once the car is up to temp, not down at a third as you mentioned in the op. Try changing that if you haven't already.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 12th December 2015, 12:02
Hi, as above, I'm 99.9% sure your thermostat is sticking open. It should run half way or just above in normal running. Your thermostat will be staying open which is allowing the car to over cool. I had the same problem. The heaters always took ages to get hot and the only time the car would reach full operating temperature was when I was stopped in traffic. New thermostat was only about a tenner or so.