PDA

View Full Version : V70 Replacement Shocks - Advice

mhon72
Friday 11th December 2015, 12:24
Hi all,

I've got a 2011 V70 D5 SE Lux and I need to replace the original shocks and looking at options other than the standard factory replacements.
I want to keep the ride reasonably stock and my options are Bilstein B4 or possibly the Monroe Reflex of which I've just picked up a good deal via Amazon.
Or should I blow the budget and consider the Bilstein B6?

Any experience or advice with these in terms of ride quality and more importantly durability?

Many thanks!

abdul
Saturday 12th December 2015, 08:55
Bilstein b6

htomi
Sunday 20th December 2015, 12:45
Depends on your pocket size, you can't go wrong with the either of the Billsteins. B6 will give you much more stiffer ride, B4s are still stiffer than factory, but brilliant handling on all terrain, especially on rough back roads.
Forget, the Monroe's if you want something cheaper, go with BOGE or Sachs.

Redbrick
Sunday 20th December 2015, 23:37
I had Monroe Reflex on my 855R many many years ago. They were not great at anything, too soft pressing on and too hard for day to day plodding.

V70 D5 I did 100K on my front B6's and they were stunning when new, magic carpet ride and nicely firm in the bends. Very worn out after 100K so back on new to me standard Volvo shocks.

How many miles are on the shocks on the car now?

My rear nivos are on 232K and still acceptable.

mhon72
Monday 21st December 2015, 02:12
Depends on your pocket size, you can't go wrong with the either of the Billsteins. B6 will give you much more stiffer ride, B4s are still stiffer than factory, but brilliant handling on all terrain, especially on rough back roads.
Forget, the Monroe's if you want something cheaper, go with BOGE or Sachs.

Cheers for the advice.

Still can't ignore the fact the Monroe Reflex came to about £144 for the full set. But maybe that should be a warning... Especially after opening the boxes to see how poorly they are packed by the factory.
Definitely not inspiring my confidence in them...

So leaning (pun not intended) more towards the Bilsteins on grounds of quality and reputation.
A slightly ride firmer should be tolerable if it reduces the barge feeling of the P3 that the P2 suffered less with.

mhon72
Monday 21st December 2015, 02:16
I had Monroe Reflex on my 855R many many years ago. They were not great at anything, too soft pressing on and too hard for day to day plodding.

V70 D5 I did 100K on my front B6's and they were stunning when new, magic carpet ride and nicely firm in the bends. Very worn out after 100K so back on new to me standard Volvo shocks.

How many miles are on the shocks on the car now?

My rear nivos are on 232K and still acceptable.

Thanks Andy.
My 11-plate D5 has over 150k on the clock so the shocks are probably well past it and one is weeping so looking at replacing the whole lot.
Just wanted something better (and ideally cheaper) than original Volvo replacements.