PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt kit recommendations

Harry T4
Thursday 10th December 2015, 22:18
Alright folks,

55 V70R 84000 miles

Got a strange squeaking noise coming from the timing belt, seems to only squeak on cold start ups.

Goes away when engine warms up.

But I'm going to do the timing belt anyway just to be on the safe side.

Are the continental belt kits ok or should it be Volvo only.

Do I do the water pump at the same time? Seen some kits with a water pump included for good prices.

Thanks

Orca2
Thursday 10th December 2015, 22:51
Conti or Gates belts are both fine. The general consensus is not to do the water pump on the first belt change unless the pump bearing feels a bit sloppy, or if there is any evidence of leaking.

htomi
Friday 11th December 2015, 22:49
I always went for the Volvo kit. Replaced 2 times on my old S60 and 6k miles ago on my V70 R too. The original volvo R kit comes with the water pump and yes, do the wpump together with the belt.
I guess the squeak sound should come from the auxiliary belt rather than the T belt ;)

Harvey
Friday 11th December 2015, 22:57
The volvo cam belt kit only comes with the belt and two pulleys ( guide pulley & tensioner ).
The water pump is extra

LeeT5
Saturday 12th December 2015, 16:45
The volvo cam belt kit only comes with the belt and two pulleys ( guide pulley & tensioner ).
The water pump is extra

Harvey
Saturday 12th December 2015, 17:28

Sorry forgot about the all in important sticker.

htomi
Saturday 12th December 2015, 20:42
Folks, someway-somehow I do remember the is an 'R' kit which includes the pump.
The other 2 kits which I bought for the S60 previously, wasn't coming with the pump, therefore I had to purchase it additionally.
All 3 above came from the same local dealership.

FCPEURO sells these too:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-timing-belt-kit-and-water-pump-kit-comprehensive-oem-parts-tbkit331wp1

LeeT5
Sunday 13th December 2015, 23:57
With something so vital for the engine, I'd rather stick with oem and if that meant buying the pump seperately, then so be it.

Harvey
Monday 14th December 2015, 08:41
Folks, someway-somehow I do remember the is an 'R' kit which includes the pump.
The other 2 kits which I bought for the S60 previously, wasn't coming with the pump, therefore I had to purchase it additionally.
All 3 above came from the same local dealership.

FCPEURO sells these too:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-timing-belt-kit-and-water-pump-kit-comprehensive-oem-parts-tbkit331wp1

Looking at that kit it's got camshafts seals,oil cooler seals .I think most people would just do the belt & pulleys as most people Would not want to remove the camshafts sprocket as that is not the easiest of jobs without the locking kit and to get it correctly done with VVT units .

htomi
Monday 14th December 2015, 11:40
With something so vital for the engine, I'd rather stick with oem and if that meant buying the pump seperately, then so be it.
100% agree with the statement above.