PDA

View Full Version : 850 t5 won't start

t5steve
Sunday 6th December 2015, 20:06
have just finished putting engine back together after a manifold and turbo upgrade and now it won't start.
turns over well, have spark, but fuel only dribbles from fuel rail when valve depressed.
i also changed the alarm relay as the alarm was playing up.
my question is does the immobiliser cut the fuel or the starter/ignition?
does the relay need coding (i have the matching remote from the same car.)?
or could it just be the fuel relay?
any help/suggestions greatly appreciated

claymore
Sunday 6th December 2015, 20:10
can you hear the pump priming? I think if it's the immobilizer the car will start for a second or so then die.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 6th December 2015, 20:12
first check the main relay on the top of the rad, tripped me up for ages when I had a similar sounding issue, wires corrode real easily around there, get someone to crank it over and wiggle the wires, that relay does control the fuel pump, so possible

t5steve
Sunday 6th December 2015, 20:28
awesome, thanks guys, i'll try these tomorrow and report back.

t5steve
Sunday 6th December 2015, 20:30
can you hear the pump priming? I think if it's the immobilizer the car will start for a second or so then die.

couldn't hear it, but there was some fuel in the rail. the rail must have been empty as it has been disconnected for ages.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 6th December 2015, 20:41
couldn't hear it, but there was some fuel in the rail. the rail must have been empty as it has been disconnected for ages.

I was still getting some pressure at the rail but still wouldn't go, spark and everything else was there, and the final reason was corroded wires to the main relay, gone like a trooper after sorting that, till the pump gave out many years later (similar symptoms no surprise),causing 2 of the 3 tow homes in over 8 years can't be too bad for a 20 year old car

t5steve
Sunday 6th December 2015, 21:28
I was still getting some pressure at the rail but still wouldn't go, spark and everything else was there, and the final reason was corroded wires to the main relay, gone like a trooper after sorting that, till the pump gave out many years later (similar symptoms no surprise),causing 2 of the 3 tow homes in over 8 years can't be too bad for a 20 year old car

i'll be checking this in morning. many thanks

Mr Sheen
Sunday 6th December 2015, 21:57
Check the cam position sensor.

PNuT
Monday 7th December 2015, 04:42
i also changed the alarm relay as the alarm was playing up.
my question is does the immobiliser cut the fuel or the starter/ignition?
does the relay need coding (i have the matching remote from the same car.)?
or could it just be the fuel relay?

alarm relay & immobilizer are not linked....

alarm relay will stop the starter engaging

Immobilizer sends a pulsed signal to the ecu to wake.... not entirely sure how it allows the car to fire & then die but as claymore says that is what seems to happen...

t5steve
Tuesday 8th December 2015, 23:33
well "vinny" has come alive again............turned out to be the fuel pump had dried out and stuck.............a couple of taps on the bench and it began working......i have changed it now (i had a spare that was ok) and vinnyroars at the turn of the key............a big thanks to flyingbrick who came and changed turbo for me last week...........now on with the paintwork.............thanks guys for all your helpful suggestions

Ettienne
Wednesday 9th December 2015, 08:11
How did the turbo turnout? Ok

t5steve
Friday 11th December 2015, 01:17
How did the turbo turnout? Ok

yes turbo is fine, no smoke and no leaks

mr marshalltown
Friday 11th December 2015, 01:33
Good work getting it sorted I must admit my car was stood for a while with a dry tank and I'm sure the pump runs louder now than it used to
and when i read this thread about it im lucky it didn't seize up aswell i would prob never give it a second thought
by the way out of intrest what turbo did you upgrade to and has it made a big difference in performance just I'm looking to upgrade and any advice or info i could get would be much appreciated ☺

Kingsford G
Friday 11th December 2015, 08:25
Well done mate.R u changing the colour of doing something else?

t5steve
Saturday 12th December 2015, 15:48
Good work getting it sorted I must admit my car was stood for a while with a dry tank and I'm sure the pump runs louder now than it used to
and when i read this thread about it im lucky it didn't seize up aswell i would prob never give it a second thought
by the way out of intrest what turbo did you upgrade to and has it made a big difference in performance just I'm looking to upgrade and any advice or info i could get would be much appreciated ☺

just a small upgrade from 15 to 16. havn't had it on road yet, i'll let you know when it's back on road

t5steve
Saturday 12th December 2015, 15:51
Well done mate.R u changing the colour of doing something else?

yes complete change,lots of body mods, still white but now pearl white inside and out, with a bit of pearl yellow as well.
will be bringing it to ace cafe in march so come have a look.

Kingsford G
Saturday 12th December 2015, 23:36
Interesting,the is better be out to show the best of it that day lol