PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5R manual box?

T5Rdragon
Friday 2nd December 2005, 09:44
Can anyone tell me what manual gearbox a 1995 850 T5-R should have, and also comment on their strength or whether there's a better box that could be used instead?

Also, where's the best place to get one? Salvo? Somewhere else?

Just enquiring at the mo :)

Andrew
Friday 2nd December 2005, 09:48
Can anyone tell me what manual gearbox a 1995 850 T5-R should have, and also comment on their strength or whether there's a better box that could be used instead?

You seriously going to go from auto to manual ?

M56 I believe is the answer andyes they are stronger and can take more punishment.

Salvo - also someone had one on ebay I think recently.

Ac.

dan_burdock
Friday 2nd December 2005, 09:59
That will be two T5Rs in Barnsley then, mine too also lives in Barnsley.

S60D5
Friday 2nd December 2005, 11:18

If you do an auto - manual swap, have a look on VolvoSpeed.com <- go to the forum and do a search, quite a few Yankee members have done the auto-manual conversion and would be an invaluable source. I think there is even a step by step guide on the forum somewhere.

I was looking at doing an auto/manual swap in my 850 T5 but couldn't find anyone wanting to undertake the job!

Gulty
Friday 2nd December 2005, 13:26
That will be two T5Rs in Barnsley then, mine too also lives in Barnsley.Make that 3, I also live in the Barnsley area, which part are you from Dan

dan_burdock
Friday 2nd December 2005, 13:39
Near Thurgoland! in Barnsley more sheffield side. Where do you take yours for service.

Gulty
Friday 2nd December 2005, 13:48
Near Thurgoland! in Barnsley more sheffield side. Where do you take yours for service.
Not had it for long, bought from auction, christ only knows when last serviced. Done belts, plugs and several other items myself, loooking festive for the season got more lights than a santas grotto on the dash!!

T5Rdragon
Friday 2nd December 2005, 13:54
Nice, you might see me around. I stable my horses in Wortley and often ride through Thurgoland :)

I'm based on the Wakefield side myself, in Royston.

dan_burdock
Friday 2nd December 2005, 14:09
One hell of a road from penistone roadabout at top to Thurgoland, although watch for the speed camera!! In thurgoland and sometimes mobile gasto in wortley just next to the church. Not sure which way you will come in. Shame about the Specs cameras on the stocksbridge bypass, that was one fast road, probably why alot were killed.

T5Rdragon
Friday 2nd December 2005, 14:13
One hell of a road from penistone roadabout at top to Thurgoland, although watch for the speed camera!! In thurgoland and sometimes mobile gasto in wortley just next to the church. Not sure which way you will come in. Shame about the Specs cameras on the stocksbridge bypass, that was one fast road, probably why alot were killed.
The camera in Thurgo is rarely on (and has only just been replaced from being firebombed some months back); I've seen the van by the church a few times, and the same van also sits on the bridge over the Stocksbridge bypass from time to time.

The SPECS on the bypass have not been switched on in the 1.5 years I've been travelling to Wortley, but I can't gurantee they won't be at any given time, so I'd still drive carefully ;)

Aren't detectors great :)

Gulty
Friday 2nd December 2005, 14:20
Nice, you might see me around. I stable my horses in Wortley and often ride through Thurgoland :)

I'm based on the Wakefield side myself, in Royston.

They used to be a cream yellow T5R just as you were getting into Lundwood going towards wakefield on right hand side, can't recall the plate. Had pegs on then replaced with some 18''s not pegs! Haven't seen it for a while round town, also had volvo badge removed.
A little bird told me it was a look a like.

dan_burdock
Friday 2nd December 2005, 14:36
Fake!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 2nd December 2005, 17:02
Make that 3, I also live in the Barnsley area, which part are you from DanWow small world, i live in Dodworth, time 4 a mini Barnsley meet, i saw a yellow 850 T5-R in Hoyland on Thursday too.

jross
Monday 5th December 2005, 11:58
If you do an auto - manual swap, have a look on VolvoSpeed.com <- go to the forum and do a search, quite a few Yankee members have done the auto-manual conversion and would be an invaluable source. I think there is even a step by step guide on the forum somewhere.

I was looking at doing an auto/manual swap in my 850 T5 but couldn't find anyone wanting to undertake the job!

I'm one of the yanks with the 5-speed swap done. It's incredible the difference the gearbox can make... the autotragic should never have been allowed onto the Rs. That being said, it's a bit of a pain getting all the bits and pieces you'll need, especially the electronics. You can pull most of the parts out of a wrecked 5-speed. Since you're a 95, you'll need the gearbox out of another 95 car, and try and get the M56H (not the M56L). The later model years also had the M56H, but they don't have the speedometer sensor pickup, so you're speedo won't work otherwise. As to the ECM, well, good luck... I've been hunting for one for my car for over a year now. You'll probably have better luck, since 5-speeds were offered in the UK from Volvo. By the by, you can modify the automatic wiring harness to match the manual gearbox wiring harness (on the engine side).

As a side note, don't be like me :p apparently holding the car at 6500+ rpm on a steep decent with high lateral g-forces will run the oil pickup dry, and there's nothing like bent rods to ruin your day.

Redbrick
Monday 5th December 2005, 13:16
Sorry, thread hijack underway... :)

As a side note, don't be like me :p apparently holding the car at 6500+ rpm on a steep decent with high lateral g-forces will run the oil pickup dry, and there's nothing like bent rods to ruin your day.

Interesting!

What about a steep ascent, high revs, 1.3 bar and high lateral forces?

Could that be why I bent three of my rods?

Or is the oil pick up at the back of the sump so unrelated?

jross
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 08:23
Sorry, thread hijack underway... :)

Interesting!

What about a steep ascent, high revs, 1.3 bar and high lateral forces?

Could that be why I bent three of my rods?

Or is the oil pick up at the back of the sump so unrelated?

Eh, pickup looked to me to be more mid-sump, really. (Picture from my replacement engine disassembly (http://images.filecloud.com/63750/PA090042.JPG)) 1.3 bar.. dang, I was only boost 7 psi when mine blew (stupid electronics). I'm thinking high-rev/steep angle/lateral forces == death?

What did you do about the rods? I'm building up a race motor to replace the dead one (only taken 3 bloody months with 1 more to go...) and I'm looking at mounting a 2 or 3 qt. oil accumulator to help insure I don't run into lube issues again.

Gulty
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 10:06
Wow small world, i live in Dodworth, time 4 a mini Barnsley meet, i saw a yellow 850 T5-R in Hoyland on Thursday too.
I think I may have spotted your car, parked up on the left hand side of the road going towards Silkstone just before the railway track. I was in Hoyalnd on Tuesday last week, There must be more T5Rs in Barnsley than anywhere else in the country. I have seen 4 in the last 5 weeks, 3 estates and 2 saloons. All yellow.