PDA

View Full Version : 2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement (sounds like no comp.)

tonymite
Friday 20th November 2015, 01:22
Hi,

2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement,

Starter motor is engaged, fuel is delivered, coils all measure approx 0.70 ohms, there is spark (at least to cylinders no's# 1 & 2 - have not checked no's# 3 & 4 i.e the coils for actual spark at cylinders 3 & 4).

My compression gauge which I've never used before showed no signs of compression but when tested on an air compressor gradually ramped up to 6 bar without a problem - (indicating at least to me that the gauge is O.K)

Upon start-up, when cranking ... it sounds like there's little or almost no compression ... just an electric sound (of the electric drive components such as the starter motor driving the belts).

Timing belt when put on by mechanic was supervised by 2 more mechanically minded individuals - and checked and re-checked against old markings and seems all good.

The Head was shaved, but NOT re-conditioned OR crack-tested ... even so ... it will not totally crumble, it will still start but run rough if valves weren't seated right or head was cracked...

When cranking... it makes a (Start -ON (belt-drive electric sound) ... ... ... "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... ... etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

M-R-P
Friday 20th November 2015, 01:23
Sounds like the cam timing is out.

smithy
Friday 20th November 2015, 07:51
Is it vvt pully type .did u lock the vvt pully when doing timing .also check cam sensor too and timing .

tonymite
Sunday 22nd November 2015, 13:30
Do crank/cams turn by hand?
Last edited by pierremcalpine; Yesterday at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
#3 Report Post
Unread Today, 12:12 AM
tonymite

yes they did - and still do...

even after we just re-adjusted the timing belt where all the marks on the belt coincide with the marks on the gears and the guide marks on the plastic camshaft covers...

I'm guessing with so little margin for clearances we may have bent the valves if the camshaft was moved or turned or not installed back in sync with the camshaft - although I remember when we put the head back on, the outer (Number#'s 1 & 4 ) were at TOP position while the middle two (#'s 2 & 3) were at down position.

tonymite
Sunday 22nd November 2015, 13:31
no it is NOT a VVT type ...

960kg
Sunday 22nd November 2015, 17:44
If you just change the belt then fine line up the marks again BUT `cos you have removed the cams and head you always have to use the cam locking tool at the rear of the cams and also line up the crankshaft with the tool that goes into the hole behind the starter motor, there is usually a black rubber plug in the hole, this is because NON of the pistons are at TDC when aligning the marks !