PDA

View Full Version : Disaster.... followed by opportunity 2002 v70 T5

Nickallen1984
Tuesday 17th November 2015, 22:14
Just had a major problem.... misfire on cylinder 4 lead to some inspection this evening with injector inspection and compression test. The spark plug was totally jammed in there, and on a (not hugely forceful) yank, the spark sheered leaving it stuck in there. The good news is that I have great compression on the other cylinders...

being a 2.3 from 2002, it's probably not worth me really going to town on it, and I'm in the process of building another engine out of the car with the aim to put it in in the future when I could A) save enough money to buy all the bits I want, and B) have a nice weekend to install the whole unit. Please bear in mind that this has been a sloooow build as I'm saving as I go along, however I do have enough now to put something in there and would love your advice on what you'd do in my position.

I'll start with what I have in there now:

Engine:

Busted 2.3
Snabb Ultimate intercooler (http://www.snabb.us/Ultimate-Volvo-Intercooler-kit-S60-V70_p_148.html)
IPD turbo inlet hose (http://www.ipdusa.com/products/9987/121445-turbo-inlet-hose-blue-s60-v70-xc70-s80-xc90-5-cylinder-turbo)
Firetta 3" downpipe
Milltek 2.5" cat back
Standard 16t turbo
MAC TCV (also have an OEM one which I'm going to put back in)

Other:
BC coilovers all round
v70R brakes all round
michelins all round
Tastelessly large wheels
Various poly bushes

Also, a stage 3 MTE map from Don, but this is in the process of being sorted and is not in there yet.

Here is what I have out of the car that is avalable to me right now:

2.4 T5 engine with ported head and stock internals (bought from Shemtek)
Hahn TD05 Super 20G turbo
650cc injectors
VXR injectors
R manifold
Spare inlet manifold
Spare front subframe
Lots of mounts wishbones etc
A few other bits and bobs

Access to a 2 post lift.

The car does drive, but not very nicely (obviously), but I can get it to a place to work on it.

What the plan was was to get the Cavalli turbo (http://www.cavalliturbo.com/CTB30VR), some better rods, SMF and clutch from Don and stand alone management, but obviously this is not realistically affordable at the moment so plans may have to change.....

My questions are:

Options are:

Put the 2.4 engine in with all the exitiing mods left as they are:

If so,

a) will the standard map or the MTE map work with a 0.1 litre additional displacement in the engine?
b) will there be any other issues that I would encounter?

Bolt everything together I have already.

If so,

a) does anyone know how easy it would be to make a custom downpipe for the 20G, or suggest anyone who has/can? GWE maybe?
b) Will stock rods be ok with the 20G turbo (I'm aware that the 2.4 bottom end is far superior to the 2.3 - is it the same as the R?)
c) Is it best to map the existing ECU, or better to go for stand alone? If anyone can suggest a good person for the map that would be greatly appreciated! (I'm based in London, but have access to the 2 post lift in Brackley near Oxford - conveniently there is a rolling road opposite in BBR GTI).

Drive my 1972 1800ES as a daily and keep saving...

If so,

a) I don't want to do that
b) It'll make me lose interest
c) Winter salt roads and classics don't mix.

Someone sell me some suitable bits to make the engine setup a bit better

If so,

a) anyone got anything they can offer!

Let me know your thoughts!

LeeT5
Friday 5th February 2016, 09:38
A) Sorry, I got lost in your decisions half way through... :rolling_e

B) I think it's best that you decide.

C) What was the question??

jamesy12345
Friday 5th February 2016, 10:44
Maybe a daft question but what was the reason for damage on cylinder 4 - injector not flowing correctly? Something to watch out for in the future if so. Martin (username MRP) on this forum has cleaned injectors for me in the past.

If it was my car I'd be looking for a custom map to suit the hardware. About the downpipe I know of someone who's done a few pipes for Renaults & his work is supposed to be pretty good, but is based in Doncaster so probably too far away

Question about stock rods - it depends on the map & power you go for. I'm sure high boost coming in at low RPM can be made to bend the rods on even the standard turbo never mind a 20G

...you could always underseal the P1800 & use that as a daily...summer is coming!!

Nickallen1984
Monday 8th February 2016, 19:45
Haha - that's pretty much what I did - The P1800 was the daily for a few weeks and then I bought a 2007 V70 T5 and got it mapped by Don (what a map, what a guy too!) 30228

I've still got the Engine and bits for another project I'm working on... watch this space!

S70T5Chris
Monday 8th February 2016, 20:06
Haha - that's pretty much what I did - The P1800 was the daily for a few weeks and then I bought a 2007 V70 T5 and got it mapped by Don (what a map, what a guy too!) 30228

I've still got the Engine and bits for another project I'm working on... watch this space!

That's your P1800? :jaw:

Nickallen1984
Monday 8th February 2016, 20:10
You see why I don't want to use it as a daily!

S70T5Chris
Monday 8th February 2016, 21:14
You see why I don't want to use it as a daily!

Sell me :dgrin: That is lush!

Nickallen1984
Monday 8th February 2016, 21:20
I actually might be at the end of next summer.... watch this space!

LeeT5
Tuesday 9th February 2016, 15:02
Very nice P1800, very nice!

Harvey
Tuesday 9th February 2016, 15:15
Cracking motor you have there.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 9th February 2016, 17:59

very nice....does the 2.4 fit in that....

Redbrick
Tuesday 9th February 2016, 22:34
Sell me :dgrin: That is lush!

That is stunning!

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 9th February 2016, 23:22

Oh, dear God that's awesome.

Seriously, that's more awesome than bacon.

Orca2
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 00:10
Heretic . You will be braised at the stake for this blasphemy.

It is bloody lovely though isn't it

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 09:28
Heretic . You will be braised at the stake for this blasphemy.

It is bloody lovely though isn't it

I think the good lard will understand in this case.

Nickallen1984
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 21:35
Thanks for all the kind words about the 1800 :)

I'm pretty sure I won't get smited (smighted, smit... not sure how or if that's a word!) as it's fully returnable from the air ride to it's original state!

Here are a few more pics for you :)

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 22:33
Lower than a badger's nadger! :D

Don't worry about Orca's comments about heracy, it's a running joke about the church of bacon.

It is more awesome than bacon though. Fact.

What size are those wheels?

Nickallen1984
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 22:52
Haha - I wasn't worrying too much!

They're 18" Japan Racing JR10's - the best thing is with 5x108 they fit onto my (new since the begining of this thread) v70... though I did have to space them when I did the R brake conversion! They're only on temporarily for now until the 19inch fifteen52 tarmacs arrive in March.....

Need a bit of a clean, but....

Orca2
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 23:00
That is the coolest 1800 I have seen . I would even go as far as to say it is better than bacon.

Jeez I hope Thong doesn't read this.

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 23:02
They look freaking huge on the P1800!

Easy to forget though, they're not a big car.

Nickallen1984
Wednesday 10th February 2016, 23:13
They look freaking huge on the P1800!

Easy to forget though, they're not a big car.

Yeah - when I put them on the v70.... they looked tiny!

Dream3r
Saturday 26th March 2016, 00:15
Hi mate personal option below,I might be inserted in the 20G....You need to data log, the injection time in VIDA is not right for calibrtion

Just had a major problem.... misfire on cylinder 4 lead to some inspection this evening with injector inspection and compression test. The spark plug was totally jammed in there, and on a (not hugely forceful) yank, the spark sheered leaving it stuck in there. The good news is that I have great compression on the other cylinders...

being a 2.3 from 2002, it's probably not worth me really going to town on it, and I'm in the process of building another engine out of the car with the aim to put it in in the future when I could A) save enough money to buy all the bits I want, and B) have a nice weekend to install the whole unit. Please bear in mind that this has been a sloooow build as I'm saving as I go along, however I do have enough now to put something in there and would love your advice on what you'd do in my position.

I'll start with what I have in there now:

Engine:

Busted 2.3
Snabb Ultimate intercooler (http://www.snabb.us/Ultimate-Volvo-Intercooler-kit-S60-V70_p_148.html)
IPD turbo inlet hose (http://www.ipdusa.com/products/9987/121445-turbo-inlet-hose-blue-s60-v70-xc70-s80-xc90-5-cylinder-turbo)
Firetta 3" downpipe
Milltek 2.5" cat back
Standard 16t turbo
MAC TCV (also have an OEM one which I'm going to put back in)
GO OEM
Other:
BC coilovers all round
v70R brakes all round
michelins all round
Tastelessly large wheels
Various poly bushes

Also, a stage 3 MTE map from Don, but this is in the process of being sorted and is not in there yet.

Here is what I have out of the car that is avalable to me right now:

2.4 T5 engine with ported head and stock internals (bought from Shemtek)
Hahn TD05 Super 20G turbo
650cc injectors
VXR injectors
R manifold
Spare inlet manifold
Spare front subframe
Lots of mounts wishbones etc
A few other bits and bobs

Access to a 2 post lift.

The car does drive, but not very nicely (obviously), but I can get it to a place to work on it.

What the plan was was to get the Cavalli turbo (http://www.cavalliturbo.com/CTB30VR), some better rods, SMF and clutch from Don and stand alone management, but obviously this is not realistically affordable at the moment so plans may have to change.....

My questions are:

Options are:

Put the 2.4 engine in with all the exitiing mods left as they are:

If so,

a) will the standard map or the MTE map work with a 0.1 litre additional displacement in the engine? Yes but it's an easy change to get it right or calcs will be off internally
b) will there be any other issues that I would encounter?

Bolt everything together I have already.

If so,

a) does anyone know how easy it would be to make a custom downpipe for the 20G, or suggest anyone who has/can? GWE maybe? Think GWE is on NZ, look @ snabb?
b) Will stock rods be ok with the 20G turbo (I'm aware that the 2.4 bottom end is far superior to the 2.3 - is it the same as the R?) Yes
c) Is it best to map the existing ECU, or better to go for stand alone? If anyone can suggest a good person for the map that would be greatly appreciated! (I'm based in London, but have access to the 2 post lift in Brackley near Oxford - conveniently there is a rolling road opposite in BBR GTI). It spa a plug pobably going lean so custom map mate, 5 bar modded perhaps, VXR's are NOT big enough, we maxxed them at 1 bar on Stu's car

Drive my 1972 1800ES as a daily and keep saving...

If so,

a) I don't want to do that
b) It'll make me lose interest
c) Winter salt roads and classics don't mix.

Someone sell me some suitable bits to make the engine setup a bit better

If so,

a) anyone got anything they can offer!

Let me know your thoughts!

Nickallen1984
Sunday 27th March 2016, 10:24
Thanks dream3r - what about a cavalli turbo on the stock rods? I've actually now got a 2007 2.4 t5 car now, to less hassle in terms of changing engine!

Dream3r
Sunday 27th March 2016, 15:42
fine!

Nickallen1984
Sunday 27th March 2016, 16:35
They seem stronger than I thought they'd be - from my understanding they're the same as the R rods/bottom end and can take a huge amount more than the older ones from the 2.3, but I'm still in fear of the low end torque from the 'no lag' that the cavalli claims to give. What sort of Torque/bhp can these safely handle (assuming you've got an decent tune, not one created by a performing monkey!) especially lower down?

I'm mainly asking as the engine is currently our of the car and it'd be a lot easier to change them now!

Dream3r
Sunday 27th March 2016, 16:59
oh , there's plenty of lag but it "spools" hard and fast.

Nickallen1984
Sunday 27th March 2016, 17:51
:rotfl::rotfl:I love their claims of 'no lag' - good to hear its actually a turbo and not a supercharger :rofl:

jdavis
Sunday 27th March 2016, 21:13
If it was my car I'd be looking for a custom map to suit the hardware. About the downpipe I know of someone who's done a few pipes for Renaults & his work is supposed to be pretty good, but is based in Doncaster so probably too far away

Top gear performance or Custom Pipes?

jamesy12345
Sunday 27th March 2016, 21:44
Top gear performance or Custom Pipes?

Email address I have says CGR Automotive mate, guys name is Charlie who I was speaking to. He did some downpipes for a Renault group of guys

LeeT5
Monday 28th March 2016, 08:44
They seem stronger than I thought they'd be - from my understanding they're the same as the R rods/bottom end and can take a huge amount more than the older ones from the 2.3, but I'm still in fear of the low end torque from the 'no lag' that the cavalli claims to give. What sort of Torque/bhp can these safely handle (assuming you've got an decent tune, not one created by a performing monkey!) especially lower down?

I'm mainly asking as the engine is currently our of the car and it'd be a lot easier to change them now!

Ring Volvo and check the part numbers!

From my understanding the R rods are forged and the 2.4 T5 bottom end is not the same. The rods in a 2.4 T5 are different.
It's only the side walls of the bores that is thicker, making the engine slightly stronger. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Nickallen1984
Friday 8th April 2016, 19:52
Awesome guys - thanks for all your help!