PDA

View Full Version : T5 coolant leak - back of engine somewhere, not the turbo cooling pipes

Bones
Sunday 15th November 2015, 15:49
So the T5 has developed a leak, but from where. I've got an idea but not been able to get the car in the air.

Radiator, hoses, water pump, the little hoses all look fine.

Ran the engine up to temperature earlier. Checked all the hoses I could see from the top.
The coolant can be seen dripping from the rear of the front subframe.

Is there a common piece that fails on these things? From diagrams I can see that the hard metal pipe that runs along the back of the block and goes from the bottom radiator hose to the water pump has an o-ring on the end. This is where I'm suspecting it's leaking from but won't know for definite untill I get the thing in the air.
Also the hose that runs from the bottom of the expansion tank into another metal pipe that then splits off in two different directions heads down to that area so need to check that aswell.

Can anybody shed any light or experience if they've had the same problem as to what the issue is?
No doubt the but I'll need will be dealer only which means I'll have to go to the useless Arnold Clark dealer up here! Unless someone knows of an alternative option.

Cheers everyone

Harvey
Sunday 15th November 2015, 15:54
Oil cooler hoses

Bones
Sunday 15th November 2015, 16:13
Never even thought of them...... Assuming they're tucked away round the back somewhere then?

stribo
Sunday 15th November 2015, 19:19
The oil cooler's on the rear of the sump, so they'll run to there.

Bones
Sunday 15th November 2015, 19:25
So that makes sense with it dripping off the subframe underneath

When I'm at work tommorow I'll try and see if there's something I can drive it onto and get a look underneath

M-R-P
Sunday 15th November 2015, 19:55
The coolant connections through the bulkhead can weep with age, run your hand around the back of the plastic socket and see if it's wet.

Bones
Sunday 15th November 2015, 20:33
I managed to check them and they're bone dry, I was originally expecting a small hose below the turbo to be leaking but once the inlet was removed everything was sweet.

Could this be used as a excuse to uprate the oil cooler perhaps? One that mounts up front somewhere? Is it worth it?

Better make sure it is that leaking first though!��

stribo
Sunday 15th November 2015, 20:47
I managed to check them and they're bone dry, I was originally expecting a small hose below the turbo to be leaking but once the inlet was removed everything was sweet.

Could this be used as a excuse to uprate the oil cooler perhaps? One that mounts up front somewhere? Is it worth it?

Better make sure it is that leaking first though!��

Nor really worth having a front mounted one unless the car's seeing a lot of track action, or you do a lot of towing. You can fit a D5 one, which is located in the same place as yours, but bigger.

Bones
Monday 16th November 2015, 18:29
Pulled the car up on the kerb tonight.....

Oil cooler hose!

Tiny little pin sized jet squirting onto the subframe!
Can't work out wether it's the clamp or the metal pipe that's corroded but I'll go out in a bit, wrap done self amalgamating tape round it, take the clamp off and put a jubilee clip on.

That will do until I get it in the air and have a proper look!