PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap advice

500tie
Saturday 7th November 2015, 20:31
Evening gents,

I'm taking my 97 V70 off the road in the new year and want to change the engine if it's possible. Currently it looks mostly the way I want it to but it's so bloody slow being the 2.5 N/A model.

Would I be able to get an x70R engine and put it in mine, I know it would physically fit and I'm guessing I'd need the ecu and possibly wiring loom.

Would it be too much hassle? Ideally I think I need to find an accident damaged R and strip the engine etc complete.

foammanmark
Saturday 7th November 2015, 20:41
Can't advise on the engine swap itself, but I know where there is an accident damaged p1 V70 R awd(phase 2 or 3). It's on a drive in Stourbridge and I have knocked on the house door a few times now with no answer.

500tie
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:11
Not the sort of people that enjoy a chat by the sounds of it. I must admit finding one will not be easy

claymore
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:12
It would be a lot easier to buy a Turbo car to start with, but everything is possible.

Shinsplintz 101
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:26
Check out voc. There's a 850 t5 complete for less than £300 - but it's in Scotland. You'd get the engine & associated parts for free once you'd off loaded the shiny bits!

500tie
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:29
Cheers Colin if I do it I'll probably end up needing a horrendous amount of help from that brain of yours, seeing as your the only person I know who has a fully functioning engine in the back of their Volvo as well as the front

500tie
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:33
Shinsplintz that's probably the route I'm going to go down, buy a complete or damaged car with a fully functioning engine. Mine already has a manual box so I'm hoping that can be bolted straight on.

Shinsplintz 101
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:58
That car is ideal as people are already clamoring for parts. I'd have it myself but I'm already full up with projects & it's bloody miles away. However if you do get it I'll have first dibs on the gearbox :)

PNuT
Sunday 8th November 2015, 07:11
You will need quite a few bits, more than just the engine loom & ecu!

With a complete donor car you should be fine but it will be a lot of work & might be worth avoiding a donor of a different year!

Model year (don't use number plater) 97 & 98 would probably be the best set up to look for as I suspect the cars electrical systems should match yours!

The engine/under bonnet wiring looms appear to be directly wired in to the fuse box so unless you want to carry out lots of soldering you will need to transfer all of that as well...

500tie
Sunday 8th November 2015, 08:31
Mmmm this is sounding like a huge amount of work unless I can find an R that's the same age. Granted I'm not in a rush and you never know what may come up, however I might just do this one for looks and buy a T5 of some sort just to drive.

PNuT
Sunday 8th November 2015, 09:00
Off the top of my head you will need

engine
ecu
loom & probably fusebox
turbo & pipework
intercooler
intake system
maf maybe the same?
exhaust system (probably complete)
injectors
possibly o2 sensors

I am not entirely sure what fuel injection system you have but it is possible it is fenix 5.2? which may meen you need a complete set of sensors!