PDA

View Full Version : Tyres for winter

burgess
Saturday 7th November 2015, 13:22
Gents, I'm thinking of having a set of all season tyres fitted to my C70.

There are times when I'll need to go up through Snowdonia national park, so snow can be real problem. This is picture postcard country, great to look at but driving through it is another thing, especially for some who don't have winter tyres and decide to visit for the day...there a must to avoid.

Been looking at Perelli Cinturato All Season, and Nokian Weatherproof,

which do you recommend using and those to avoid?

Burgess

Nealevo
Saturday 7th November 2015, 13:52
I use Pirelli winters every year, and they are great in the colder weather. Any winters are a good move and should be law IMO

Harvey
Saturday 7th November 2015, 13:52
I run theses on my winter rims,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/hankook/icept-evo-w310&ved=0CEYQFjACahUKEwjko56Duv7IAhUFig8KHf66Axk&usg=AFQjCNFrOJrT-02ATjiLAj2JAJpcBPUbsA

abdul
Saturday 7th November 2015, 15:52
What rims size would u use

abdul
Saturday 7th November 2015, 15:52
16 17 or 18

MoleT-5R
Saturday 7th November 2015, 16:41
16's will give a nicer ride in the winter months, as you get a taller sidewall profile which will cope better with the rough road surfaces/potholes and the like, that you will encounter and not be able to spot easily when it's dark and they're full of water, 17's will be ok too, 18's would be getting a bit pricey I'd imagine, just depends on what rims you have spare to fit them to.

kmb
Saturday 7th November 2015, 16:44
If you go for 16's and they're not your standard wheel size you would be wise to check brake caliper clearance before buying :)

MoleT-5R
Saturday 7th November 2015, 17:22
If you go for 16's and they're not your standard wheel size you would be wise to check brake caliper clearance before buying :)

a very good point KMB as choices of 16" rims will be very limited, if running anything bigger than 280's in the braking department, I'm ok as I have a set of 16" satellites that fit over 302's so didn't even think about that tbh.

expolicev70t5
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:50
I use 225/45/17 Rock stone ice plus. They have been a great tire over the last two years and excellent in snow

LiamT4
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:56
I'll be going for all season tyres because, although not as good in snow and ice, they offer better grip in cold but dry, wet, damp conditions.

This is because where i live we have very little snow, i don't think its worth sacrificing grip 95% of the time, just for the 1 or 2 days a year that there may be snow. I'll be using them like winters though, only fitting using them from december to march.

darzmat
Sunday 8th November 2015, 01:04
a very good point KMB as choices of 16" rims will be very limited, if running anything bigger than 280's in the braking department, I'm ok as I have a set of 16" satellites that fit over 302's so didn't even think about that tbh.

Ive got Meteors (16" comets) they also fit over 302's

burgess
Sunday 8th November 2015, 02:45
Thanks for all your replies gents.

At present I have 225/45ZR 17P on.
Don't have another set of wheels. Have thoughts about obtaining a second set complete with winter/all weather tyres.

LiamT4
Sunday 8th November 2015, 14:46
Thanks for all your replies gents.

At present I have 225/45ZR 17P on.
Don't have another set of wheels. Have thoughts about obtaining a second set complete with winter/all weather tyres.

Thats what i'll be doing, two sets. One with normal, for the majority of the year, and the others with some sort of all season/weather tyres for the dodgy months.
From what i've read, the Michelin Cross climate tyres seem ideal for what i need and they are supposed to be the first tyre that works well in the winter and summer so, if you wanted, you can use them all year round. But i'll still be using them as a second tyre.

st1t5
Tuesday 10th November 2015, 18:25
Up until we sold our C70 T5 a few months back we ran winter tyres every winter and it transformed the car. Up until that point we started using them we had to leave the car on 4 separate occasions as the car got stuck in snow.

The tyres we used where Nankang SV-2s ... The car never once got stuck using them and would plough through the snow to our house at the top of a steep hill.
I also use that make on my other car, have done for 4 years.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=46800011.110.20660&sowigan=Wi&Breite=225&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&Load=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&search_tool=standard&Label=E-C-71-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-167366

My cousin has a set of 4 for sale, 2nd hand but still good tread on them, it was me who gave them to him when i sold the car.