PDA

View Full Version : Angle gear.

stribo
Saturday 7th November 2015, 07:40
Does anyone know if the angle gear is the same in a S60R, and a XC90 2.5T, both manual? My thinking is, if they're the same, I might buy a spare, and recondition it, just in case.

Santa
Saturday 7th November 2015, 07:57
I believe it is the same as the XC90 (collar gears are the same so cant image the angle gear being different).

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 7th November 2015, 09:59
Best thing to do is get underneath and have a look. Some angle gears had a chain drive unit attached, there are that many different versions. They did a strengthened version too.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 7th November 2015, 12:07
also it will require the same drive ratio as the rear axle, if you are building it as a swap in unit should anything go wrong with the existing unit iirc

stribo
Saturday 7th November 2015, 12:44
Are they not all 1:1 ratio?

Ettienne
Saturday 7th November 2015, 12:47
I've got a spare one in the workshop I'll check later if your wanting to know

stribo
Saturday 7th November 2015, 13:03
I've got a spare one in the workshop I'll check later if your wanting to know

Yes please mate.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 7th November 2015, 16:53
Are they not all 1:1 ratio?

yes in theory when with the matching rear axle. so if for example the rear axle is 3.31:1 then the angle gear needs to match it but in reverse so 1 input turn gives 3.31 output to rear diff, thus in reality at the angle gear input 1 turn will give turn a the rear axle so a theoretical 1:1 overall. If I'm wrong in this thinking please shoot me now, but that is how I understand it, Dangerous Dave will be along in a minute if I'm wrong with a proper explaination

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:02
yes in theory when with the matching rear axle. so if for example the rear axle is 3.31:1 then the angle gear needs to match it but in reverse so 1 input turn gives 3.31 output to rear diff, thus in reality at the angle gear input 1 turn will give turn a the rear axle so a theoretical 1:1 overall. If I'm wrong in this thinking please shoot me now, but that is how I understand it, Dangerous Dave will be along in a minute if I'm wrong with a proper explaination
LOL dude :D Sounds right to me

MoleT-5R
Saturday 7th November 2015, 21:10
LOL dude :D Sounds right to me

Thank you master, I must be learning volvo awds right then, these awd's are a minefield tbh and no real hard info on them that I have found to date

Ettienne
Saturday 7th November 2015, 22:04
Yes please mate.

I forgot and it's a bit dark now lol.

I thought they were 1:1 and box matched the rear diff.

Can check in the morning now.

stribo
Saturday 7th November 2015, 22:29
My understanding is, the front and rear diff are matched, and the angle gear is 1:1, just to turn the transverse output from the gearbox, to the longitudinal drive to the propshaft.

Harvey
Saturday 7th November 2015, 22:51
Think this link shows what goes on inside it.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?205157-Angle-gear-rebuild-amp-research-about-the-reason-for-failure

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 7th November 2015, 22:59
I forgot and it's a bit dark now lol.

I thought they were 1:1 and box matched the rear diff.

Can check in the morning now.

My understanding is, the front and rear diff are matched, and the angle gear is 1:1, just to turn the transverse output from the gearbox, to the longitudinal drive to the propshaft.

Nope, fraid not.

Early ones were 3.31:1 to match the final drive ratio of the diff (which was inherited/modded from the 900 series). If you check my build thread (in my sig) I've got my angle gear dismantled and you can see the difference in the gears.

Think the later ones were changed to 2.78:1 (I'll have to dig out the data to check that and what year they changed)

The front diff works seperately to the rear diff, think of it as the angle gear is added (bodged on LOL) to the drivetrain after the front diff, so you need an overall 1:1 ratio through the angle gear and rear diff.

Bloody mind flock :)

Ettienne
Saturday 7th November 2015, 23:00
If your having a spare, just buy a good one and weld the sleeve.

Mines very low miles 38k from a p2 2003 but shaft is worn even at low miles, but otherwise perfect, I'll weld a new sleeve on and keep it as a spare, not that it fits my v70r

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 7th November 2015, 23:03
Think this link shows what goes on inside it.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?205157-Angle-gear-rebuild-amp-research-about-the-reason-for-failure

That one is a later model with different/stronger bracing cast into the casing compared to the early ones

This is what happened to Husseins (lookforjoe from VS) looks like an earlier model of angle gear
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/huseinholland/CarMods/AWD%20Components/IMG_6452.jpg

And the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyZvgbAElw

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 7th November 2015, 23:09
If your having a spare, just buy a good one and weld the sleeve.

Mines very low miles 38k from a p2 2003 but shaft is worn even at low miles, but otherwise perfect, I'll weld a new sleeve on and keep it as a spare, not that it fits my v70r
Was thinking about doing this to mine but the problem is that it might wear the gearbox splines more which is about the same amount of cost to replace :(

Ettienne
Saturday 7th November 2015, 23:09
[QUOTE=Dangerous Dave;790276]That one is a later model with different/stronger bracing cast into the casing compared to the early ones

This is what happened to Husseins (lookforjoe from VS) looks like an earlier model of angle gear

Had about 500 odd bhp didn't? Not surprised it did go, I know they break if launched lots but I'm guessing his power upgrades didn't help.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 7th November 2015, 23:20
Had about 500 odd bhp didn't? Not surprised it did go, I know they break if launched lots but I'm guessing his power upgrades didn't help.

Looking at his videos at that time I think it had a 19t and was running about 280whp. It was launched hard by the looks of it :D It's completely different now, he's modded it loads

stribo
Sunday 8th November 2015, 00:06
Our S60R has been launched hard many times, I think the failures people have suffered are because, they don't realise they weep oil, and they run them dry, as they don't keep them topped up.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 8th November 2015, 01:34

nope the front diff makes no real difference to what happens at the rear (they still work in sync with each other), this thinking is what has kept my v70r awd off the road for so long as I got it into my head that the box I bought didn't match the rear diff, but in the end that makes no difference as long as the angle gear and rear diff are matched......kicking myself as she could have been back on the road ages ago.......:buttkick:

stribo
Sunday 8th November 2015, 02:48
]nope the front diff makes no real difference to what happens at the rear [/COLOR](they still work in sync with each other), this thinking is what has kept my v70r awd off the road for so long as I got it into my head that the box I bought didn't match the rear diff, but in the end that makes no difference as long as the angle gear and rear diff are matched......kicking myself as she could have been back on the road ages ago.......:buttkick:
I appreciate that, what I meant was I thought the front and rear diffs were both the same ratio, therefore the angle gear only needed to be 1:1.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 8th November 2015, 02:54
I appreciate that, what I meant was I thought the front and rear diffs were both the same ratio, therefore the angle gear only needed to be 1:1.

nope that is where i went wrong, front gearbox can be any you fancy, but angle gear and rear diff ratios have to match...simples when put like that...took me a while to get my head around it, thus why the V70R awd got put on the back burner for so long, but will be returning in 2016 sporting a manual six speed awd box

stribo
Sunday 8th November 2015, 10:16
nope that is where i went wrong, front gearbox can be any you fancy, but angle gear and rear diff ratios have to match...simples when put like that...took me a while to get my head around it, thus why the V70R awd got put on the back burner for so long, but will be returning in 2016 sporting a manual six speed awd box
So, with that being the case, I need to find out if the front and rear diff on the XC90 are the same ratio as the S60R.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 8th November 2015, 19:09
So, with that being the case, I need to find out if the front and rear diff on the XC90 are the same ratio as the S60R.

no just whether the rear axle ratios are the same

Ettienne
Sunday 8th November 2015, 19:58
How do the ratios compare on the xc90 to s60, should give you a rough idea.

However won't the xc90 have a larger rolling tyre radius, so if they're geared similar on the tacho, there probably different lol

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 8th November 2015, 22:04
Had a look through some volvo tech stuff but can't find the ratios, they hide it really well :( Will keep digging...

MoleT-5R
Sunday 8th November 2015, 22:31
How do the ratios compare on the xc90 to s60, should give you a rough idea.

However won't the xc90 have a larger rolling tyre radius, so if they're geared similar on the tacho, there probably different lol

final drives are final drives regardless of what tyres you fit to them, if the rear axles of steve's awds have the same ratio then they share the same angle gear unit, if they differ in rear axle ratio's he will need to keep a matching ratio angle gear unit for both cars for his 'just swap' plan

Ettienne
Monday 9th November 2015, 15:35
final drives are final drives regardless of what tyres you fit to them, if the rear axles of steve's awds have the same ratio then they share the same angle gear unit, if they differ in rear axle ratio's he will need to keep a matching ratio angle gear unit for both cars for his 'just swap' plan

Agreed ade, I was just thinking that his xc90 for example if it's 2,000 rpm at 60 and his s60r is the same, would it not point to different final drives if the xc90 had a larger rolling radius. (If that makes sense)

I remember looking at axles etc when I was going to manual convert the laser I seem to remember the xc90 was different and ratio of 3.31, 3.66 and 4.3 stick in my mind.

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th November 2015, 15:59
Agreed ade, I was just thinking that his xc90 for example if it's 2,000 rpm at 60 and his s60r is the same, would it not point to different final drives if the xc90 had a larger rolling radius. (If that makes sense)

I remember looking at axles etc when I was going to manual convert the laser I seem to remember the xc90 was different and ratio of 3.31, 3.66 and 4.3 stick in my mind.

yep see what your saying mate, different engine sizes / fuels etc will most probably determine different rear axle ratio's, I doubt that Steve's vehicles have the same angle gear ratio ( he's lucky if he has ) and then he'd still need to find a matching one to refurb, not difficult but it may be a bit of time before what he needs comes up at a sensible price.

stribo
Monday 9th November 2015, 16:13
Maybe I'll just shelve the plan. Lol

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th November 2015, 16:27
Maybe I'll just shelve the plan. Lol

do you understand how it works now, took me a while to get my head around what is relatively simple really was just muddled by final drive ratio's of the rear diff and gearbox which really have no influence on each other as the cars FD is gearbox governed. Might be worth noting what rear diff ratio's / angle gear unit part no's and just watch for when they come up.

stribo
Monday 9th November 2015, 19:26
Yeah, I understand how it works now, just seems like a lot of faff. lol

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th November 2015, 20:21
Yeah, I understand how it works now, just seems like a lot of faff. lol

yep these awd's are......lol :)

stribo
Monday 9th November 2015, 20:38
yep these awd's are......lol :)

Yeah, and who thought a foot operated parking brake was a good idea in a manual car? :slap:

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th November 2015, 20:41
Yeah, and who thought a foot operated parking brake was a good idea in a manual car? :slap:

stick with the 850's / early c/s/v70's save a lot of headaches.....lol

stribo
Monday 9th November 2015, 22:14
stick with the 850's / early c/s/v70's save a lot of headaches.....lol

None of the above will seat 7, and still have boot space.