PDA

View Full Version : TDI/2.5D Problem

Blackdog
Thursday 5th November 2015, 13:06
OK the '97 V70 TDI is having occasional starting issues.

Most times you crank it for 5 seconds and it fires up.

A couple of time recently it has taked a good 30 seconds of cranking and throttle pumping to get it to fire. When it does fire there is no excessive smoke or the like and it runs fine.

It is almost like fuel starvation on the start-up.

It has had new glow plugs and has been timed up.

Anyone any ideas on what it might be?

martin_r_smith
Thursday 5th November 2015, 16:27
It may be as simple as air getting in via worn leak off pipes, really easy to change and cheap. Thats what I would start with but I have a feeling it might injection related, you'll need to plug it in to vol-fcr to confirm, or whatever is used for msa 15.8, vida??

Look at the injection quantity when the car is up to full operating temperature, ~88 deg, and report back with that number.

Blackdog
Thursday 5th November 2015, 17:00
It may be as simple as air getting in via worn leak off pipes, really easy to change and cheap. Thats what I would start with but I have a feeling it might injection related, you'll need to plug it in to vol-fcr to confirm, or whatever is used for msa 15.8, vida??

Look at the injection quantity when the car is up to full operating temperature, ~88 deg, and report back with that number.

Thanks Martin.

If it was injector related I would have expected there to be masses of smoke on start-up from the unburnt fuel left from the cranking but there is nothing.

Any chance of a picture of the pipes you are talking about?

My thought was maybe the fuel filter?

PNuT
Thursday 5th November 2015, 17:48
Timing might need adjusted! We bought one off ebay that someone had fitted a manual glow plug system to solve exactly the issue you describe.... i adjusted the timing and removed all the additional parts as they were not needed! I find the eml only comes on when the timing is wrong in one direction and not the other unless it is massivly wrong but cant remember which way it is....

martin_r_smith
Thursday 5th November 2015, 18:53
You can try fuel filter. Pipes are under the plastic cover linking the injectors together.

With an injection quantity fault it won't be injecting enough fuel so no smoke is produced. Another symptom is the occasional catch but not full starting whilst cranking.

Also as pnut says check the timing, I know you said it's been done but still worth checking.

disco
Thursday 5th November 2015, 19:39
hi blackdog ive just had lots of simarler probs we were chasing various things in the end it was the starter sounds odd but have you tried jump leads straight away for a lasy starter i put a new battery in no difference new starter bingo hope this helps

Blackdog
Friday 6th November 2015, 09:46
Pipes are under the plastic cover linking the injectors together.

Before I rip the cover off and start delving inside are these OEM parts or just standard fuel line?

martin_r_smith
Friday 6th November 2015, 09:49
Just standard fuel line, cut to size and fit yourself 10 min job