PDA

View Full Version : Wheel noise HELP (Watch video)

Nicka
Saturday 31st October 2015, 19:55
Hey guys, A noise has just started to come from the drivers side rear wheel. It usually only happens when I turn left or turn the wheel slightly left. I thought is could be the brake pads, but they are only a few months old and the noise has only just started coming.
Please watch video by clicking link below..... any help would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_AJz2tQkyc

Nicka
Saturday 31st October 2015, 19:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iydZvZUtWg

Orca2
Saturday 31st October 2015, 20:11
Both video links are coming up private mate.

Nicka
Saturday 31st October 2015, 20:57
Sorry... should work now

Orca2
Saturday 31st October 2015, 22:19
Sounds like your tyre is rubbing on the arch liner. If so it will leave a mark

Nicka
Saturday 31st October 2015, 22:31
Sounds like your tyre is rubbing on the arch liner. If so it will leave a mark

The Tyre is definitely not rubbing. There is a big gap between.

Orca2
Saturday 31st October 2015, 22:52
Could be delaminated brake shoes, does your car have discs with integral drums ? try pulling the handbrake very gently when the noise is happening and see if it changes. Just don't pull too hard

Redbrick
Saturday 31st October 2015, 23:01
Could be delaminated brake shoes, does your car have discs with integral drums ? try pulling the handbrake very gently when the noise is happening and see if it changes. Just don't pull too hard

Agreed, sounds like a binding brake shoe. Best be quick before it breaks off and causes damage. Easy fix in the grand scheme of things.

Orca2
Saturday 31st October 2015, 23:42
It reminds me of the noise mini brake drums used to make if they were adjusted up too far and the leading edge of the shoe picked up on the drum .
Have s70'sgot drum hand brakes ?. V70's certainly have.

Nicka
Sunday 1st November 2015, 00:26
Agreed, sounds like a binding brake shoe. Best be quick before it breaks off and causes damage. Easy fix in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the responses.
Yes the car has rear brake shoe's/drums and disks, so will try that handbrake thing tomorrow whilst driving.
So once the car is jacked up, should I just adjust the tension of the drum/shoes by the adjusting the little shoe adjuster wheel? (through the inspection hole)? obviously only if the wheel is not spinning freely.
Sorry I only have basic knowledge the mechanical side of things.

Orca2
Sunday 1st November 2015, 00:47
Tbh if you haven't ever worked on brakes before it might be best to get your local garage to have a look at them. It's one job you don't want to mess up on. I would strip the back discs off and check the shoes and springs , if one of the shoes is delaminating it can make a hell of a mess and you cant really assess the condition of the shoes without removing the drum/disc.

kmb
Sunday 1st November 2015, 12:23
That's the noise my car had when the brake shoes delaminated and were moving around inside the brake disc hub - This was my fault as I initially replaced the discs and pads but not the shoes... lesson learnt.

Had to do the job again and put in new handbrake shows along with the spring and fitting kit. Problem was then solved.

Nicka
Sunday 1st November 2015, 17:38
Thanks for the response guys, will get it booked in the the local garage this week.

Nicka
Wednesday 4th November 2015, 22:23
Ok guys just an update on the noise I was getting from the rear wheel....
Got it checked and from a garage, and It was the caliper. Replaced it, and all sorted now!