PDA

View Full Version : Would like to hear from people who have transplanted big engines to 240

Richard Dobson
Friday 23rd October 2015, 21:18
t5Hi, my brother posted about my 240 glt the other day

Wanting to put a 940 HPT in it and give it 300 bhp, or an 850 T an S60 turbo, or a 960 3.0 .

940 HPT

1) Heard you need an M90 gearbox for big power but does not fit straight in, Believe it is shorter and you need to sort the gear control, Will the M47 gear control bracket fit onto an M90 or is more work needed to make the gear lever come through the 240 standard hole, Also have heard the M90 is fatter , does the tunnel need any modification. Can you use the standard 240 cross member and mounting to afix the M90 without modification.
2) People say you should fit a 900 series rear axle mainly so the you get a speedo connection for the M90 but I have been told by my volvo breaker that this axle is too wide and no way can you connect it to the 240 suspension mounts.
3) Lets assume you somehow fit the 940 axle how do you get the signal to work , will the 940 speedo fit in the 240 binacle, if not what is the solution.
4) Does the exhaust and turbo interfere with the standard 240 stuff, eg master cylinders etc.

850 T5 or S60

1)Has anyone ever done this mod.
2)How tall is the engine from sump to the top.
3) Presume I need an adapter to fit the engine to the M90 anyone got a template for making the plate.
4)Will the flywheel on the 850 into the M90 bellhousing.
feel the sump could be a problem, does anyone know if there is any plumbing or oil pump etc that would stop reforming the sump so it fits over the 240 cross member.

960 3.0 engine

Basically the same info as above on this engine.

I am sure There is a lot of things I have not asked , pleaswe feel free to tell me any problem I have missed.

I would be a very strong buyer of a fully sorted car

Richard

t5 pete
Friday 23rd October 2015, 21:38
The m90 is a direct fit you will need a custom prop.
You use the standard brace but need make a bracket to support the box.

You don't get the feed from the gear box unless you have a eairly 244 which you don't .
The 940-960 axel you speak of is a 1041 and a 1041k the k being the stronger it's a g80 locking diff.
The actual case will not fit but you can swap the inners and shorten the driver's side shaft by quater a inch.

The tone ring will be Incorrect for the 240 as the later diff has abs you will either have to fit the 240 tone ring or remove 3 out of 4 tabs from the later diff.
If you want big power ide go for a gripper diff fr the 240 like I am just expensive at £900 but if it's worth doing you minds well do it right.

Clarence is tight but a 3 inch down pipe is achieved

t5 pete
Friday 23rd October 2015, 21:43
Onto to next set of questions

yes its been done lots of time and there is currently a guy I the UK running around in a white 240 with a t5 engine.

Haven't a clue but it fits perfectly.

No plate needed just make sure you have a white block m90 from a 2.5 960.

You use the original fly wheel with a 850 r clutch
Yes you need the sump from a 2.5 or 3.0 960 and shorten it then it clear the cross member.

There is absolutely tonnes of info search Google there is dedicated articles from start to finish

Sweep
Sunday 25th October 2015, 19:29
B230 is the easiest out of the bunch, been done thousands of times. 300bhp isn't too difficult to achieve either, standard internals will cope easily with it.

T5 has been done many times too, but requires quite a lot more work than a Redblock.

If you're going to the effort of the 960 lump then you may as well drop in a T6 instead.