PDA

View Full Version : 850 NA 2 Litre 10v stage 0

tonyhtb
Saturday 17th October 2015, 14:35
Just got one for peanuts with 7 seats, needs a full going over, anyone care to help me with a lkist of what needs doing etc to get it fully back in shape engine wise

nottsgreent5
Saturday 17th October 2015, 15:32
Inlet pipe between air filter and throttle body are normally
Cracked and split cheap to replace though. The n/a's are very good cars

Doingitsideways
Saturday 17th October 2015, 20:30
Top engine mounts crack causing loads of engine movement, even on the N/As.
PCV system gets blocked up causing oil seals to blow out, namely the rear crank seal, that's a gearbox out job and a massive pain in the arse, doubly so if the car's an auto. Ask me how I know!

Aside from that, it's just normal service items like any other petrol engine. Use genuine parts if you can and you won't go far wrong.
Decent oil and filter,
Air filter,
Don't forget the fuel filter, many do for many thousands of miles!
Spark plugs,
HT leads are probably past their best,
Distributor cap and rotor arm,
Coil if you can stretch to it.

If it's an auto, budget for a radiator.
The internal ATF cooler tends to split and mix with the coolant, rapidly resulting in a dead gearbox.

As has been said though, they are pretty bullet proof.
I ran an auto N/A 2.5 10 valver for 3 years. I gave it absolute death from cold EVERY day, pulled stupid amounts of weight and generally drove it like I stole it.
All it asked for in those three years was a rear shock mount after I ripped it through the floor doing a handbrake while 5-up with a boot full of tools, and a cat after I took it clean off over a massive speedbump!
Hands down, the best car I've ever owned.

nottsgreent5
Saturday 17th October 2015, 20:41
Top engine mounts crack causing loads of engine movement, even on the N/As.
PCV system gets blocked up causing oil seals to blow out, namely the rear crank seal, that's a gearbox out job and a massive pain in the arse, doubly so if the car's an auto. Ask me how I know!

Aside from that, it's just normal service items like any other petrol engine. Use genuine parts if you can and you won't go far wrong.
Decent oil and filter,
Air filter,
Don't forget the fuel filter, many do for many thousands of miles!
Spark plugs,
HT leads are probably past their best,
Distributor cap and rotor arm,
Coil if you can stretch to it.

If it's an auto, budget for a radiator.
The internal ATF cooler tends to split and mix with the coolant, rapidly resulting in a dead gearbox.

As has been said though, they are pretty bullet proof.
I ran an auto N/A 2.5 10 valver for 3 years. I gave it absolute death from cold EVERY day, pulled stupid amounts of weight and generally drove it like I stole it.
All it asked for in those three years was a rear shock mount after I ripped it through the floor doing a handbrake while 5-up with a boot full of tools, and a cat after I took it clean off over a massive speedbump!
Hands down, the best car I've ever owned.

When you put it like that there alot better than the turbo car's lol

tonyhtb
Monday 19th October 2015, 14:10
So is there anyone on here who can supply these bits and bobs at a discount of course!!

Doingitsideways
Monday 19th October 2015, 15:17
If you want genuine, then FRF Volvo in Swansea are hard to beat. Ask for Simon (Rufe is his username)

Partsforvolvo are pretty good too and have a lot of genuine stuff.

tonyhtb
Tuesday 20th October 2015, 07:49
Dropped a line to Simon at FRF thanks for the tip!!

tonyhtb
Wednesday 21st October 2015, 10:26
Dropped a line to Simon at FRF thanks for the tip!!

Not heard from Rufe/Simon so pfs it's got to be as need to do this next week. what do I need for the PCV on an Na car. Recently had this done on my c70 t5 Gt