PDA

View Full Version : need help with spare wheel

dublint5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 02:59
hi all somebody might be able to help me have 96 850 t5 the car has 16 inch volvo alloys on car but the spare is only a 15 in steel wheel problem is that to pass an mot here all 5 wheels must match was on phone to the 2 main volvo garages here today trying to get a 16 inch steel rim as spare was told they do not do a 16 inch wheel for my car as it came with 15inch as standard and they dont know of any other wheels that will fit
have spent day on phone to all local breaker yards can not get single spare alloy only thing i can get is full set of 15 inch alloys with good tyres for about 300 euros but dont want to come down a size
anyone got any ideas need wheel fast as mot on dec 7 if i miss this date could be after christmas before get car fully on road

thanks :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried:

Al115
Thursday 1st December 2005, 06:38
Hello. What style of 16" wheel is it? Do you know the name, or can you post up a link to a picture of a Volvo with the same alloys on?

There are always T5 16"s on ebay for not very much money (£50 or so)....

I'm sure the peeps on this forum will come up with a solution!

wright_t5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 07:13
Easiest thing is to leave the spare at home, if you don't have a spare in the car they can't fail it for that!!! they can fail it if it isnt the same as on the vehicle..... wierd I know, but so is life....

Mrsmopp
Thursday 1st December 2005, 08:19
Easiest thing is to leave the spare at home, if you don't have a spare in the car they can't fail it for that!!! they can fail it if it isnt the same as on the vehicle..... wierd I know, but so is life....

^^^ What he said - leave it at home. I have never had a spare wheel so they cant fail me for not having a matching one ;)

x

The Flying Banana
Thursday 1st December 2005, 08:55

This is true, they assume that if you going to change tyre then the axle must carry the same size, so just leave it at home. In the case of LPG converted cars where the tank is in the wheel well they dont fail it.

S60D5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 09:50
What on earth?

The spare on my 850 T5 is a 15" steel wheel as provided by VOLVO from New. It has passed every single MOT with this wheel in absolutely no problem.

The spare wheel on my mothers 850 T5 is a Space Saver (Provided by Volvo) and that has never failed an MOT either.

The spare wheel in my S60 is a big steel wheel, and guess what... that hasn't failed!!!

Most high end cars run space savers as spare wheels and I've yet to come accross any of my friends cars failing an MOT because of it!

siamblue
Thursday 1st December 2005, 10:01
SD but he is in Ireland, so the reg's will be different.

Gary

PS I have 18s on mine with a 17 space saver.

madness
Thursday 1st December 2005, 10:44
ask the dealer what was originally supplied. i know all southern ireland cars are uk spec.

dublint5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 13:47
because car is going out as a taxi i must have spare wheel with me when i go for mot
they wont allow space saver wheels either so has to be full size
spare must match rest of wheels down to tyre size and all
would a spare off a s70 fit maybe able to get full size steel 16 inch from volvo they are not sure if it will fit or not and as is a special order they want a deposit to order it in which i lose if i dont take it because it does not fit
the wheels on car are 6.5 r 16 and the rim that they are going to order is same so hopefully will work :croc:

S60D5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 14:29
SD but he is in Ireland, so the reg's will be different.

Gary

PS I have 18s on mine with a 17 space saver.

I see!

17" Space saver? Blimey.

I dont like space savers, as if I get a puncture halfway through France at the dead of night, I wouldn't fancy driving several hundred miles at only 45mph or whatever the limit is for a space saver! :slap:

siamblue
Thursday 1st December 2005, 15:28
That's the only snag with either rare or expensive alloys, If i ever bend or dent a rim i am in big trouble, As i only have 4 18" Tritons, getting another will be trying to get hens teeth, unless i have over £400 to spend on a new one from Volvo.

I see!

17" Space saver? Blimey.

I dont like space savers, as if I get a puncture halfway through France at the dead of night, I wouldn't fancy driving several hundred miles at only 45mph or whatever the limit is for a space saver! :slap:

Babybadger
Thursday 1st December 2005, 15:37
I see!

17" Space saver? Blimey.

I wouldn't like to be caught in the dead of night in france fullstop regardless of a puncture.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 1st December 2005, 16:06
because car is going out as a taxi i must have spare wheel with me when i go for mot

As he said it's going out as a taxi so all five have to match...

Have you looked on E-bay I got two spares for £35.00 each. As far as I'm aware all the 16" five spoke wheels (850, S/V70 phase 1) are the sameoffset so therefore match even if they look slightly different (but you've got to look closely, or be a T5 nerd (like us all))..

Your a bit premature with your request I'm not quite ready to pass on the two wheels I got, as I only have two white wheels on the car so far. The other two have only just come back from the powder coaters.... :haha: nobody noticed :haha:

Straker
Thursday 1st December 2005, 16:19
Ireland might have diffent MOT regs but if the wheels you have on the car are all original OEM equipment then it should not fail. You can't ligislate in retrospect (just think of the emmission standards).

I'd check the rules as it sounds like you have an overzelous MOT guy?!?

dublint5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 17:37
everything here to do with cars here is messed up
all mot test centers in ireland are basicly ran by goverment in dublin we only have 3 centers so really what they say goes you have no choice

to show how messed up it is here bought car last saturday in northern ireland (just because could not get one here) paid £1800 for car 1996 850 t5 saloon with 150000 clean car all usual bits
Had to pay 505 euros to register car on to southern plates

here you have no choice its either their way or no way :slap:

dublint5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 17:39
p.s goverment only values my t5 at 1200euros

S60D5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 19:18
I wouldn't like to be caught in the dead of night in france fullstop regardless of a puncture.

Why?

dublint5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 23:55
dont know but if the had valued it higher i would have had to pay more vrt