PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning time (wax, polish etc)

c70mel
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 23:00
Hey all,

Well as the days are getting colder and the good old gritters are out im wanting to try and protect my car (paintwork) as much as possible. What does everyone/anyone do especially during this time of year to protect their paintwork.

I only have some standard maxshine wax or what ever it is called and im wondering if there is anything out there which can provide some sort of protection from the grit/snow/stones etc. I suppose all wax gives some sort of protection? I have seen this plastic film which you can get that stops the paint from getting chipped but im not too keen on wrapping my car in clingfilm!

I have got my 'Wheel Wax' from America and have used that all over my new 18" OZ's. This stuff claims to protect wheels against brake dust and grit. May not doing anything but it gives me peace of mind at least :)

Cheers in advance for any info.

dicky b t5
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 23:23
Alot of peeps on here use Presta Fast Wax (see Mrs Mopp..!)

Deffo the best polish i've ever used...Dont think any wax will stop stone chips,
but Presta lasts for ages on your car, last time i done mine was about 8-10 weeks ago and any water still just beads up or runs off...If you wash the car & dry it with a leather it still buff's up......Great Stuff...!!!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st December 2005, 01:54
What he said :stupid:

BigJC
Thursday 1st December 2005, 09:45
I washed n waxed mine which take far longer than the Golf!!!! I use Meguiars which I bought in a group buy on another forum quite cheap and it has the canuba wax in which gives it a nice finish.

On the golf I use Autosmart which has a sealing polish and lasts ages!

Just try and get a break in the weather so you don't get frostbite!

01c70t5
Thursday 1st December 2005, 10:21
Another Meguiars user... very impressed, I've only done the complete 3 stage process once. A good wash and dry, and it looks as good. I'll probably do the 3 stage again once it starts to warm up.

grumpybob
Thursday 1st December 2005, 20:52
Used to use Megs and was happy with it but I have now started using Bilt-Hamber polish. Not the cheapest but the best protection I have found, perfect when the roads are covered in salt and you can't wash the car every week cause the hose pipe is frozen.!

http://www.aviationmuseum.co.uk/Austin7/austin7builthamber.htm

Bob

highgun
Friday 2nd December 2005, 21:07
I have come across the Auto Express test and verdict site, and purchased some Turtle Wax Gloss Guard, but I am so lazy, I haven’t tried it on the car yet. But I polished the Motorbike with it last week (Black) and it looks great!!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/?id=55103

All the best,

Tony

mat562be
Friday 2nd December 2005, 21:21
'Mer' polish and good old Turtle Wax on top. ££££ hot...

BlackBeast
Thursday 8th December 2005, 23:26
I have come across the Auto Express test and verdict site, and purchased some Turtle Wax Gloss Guard, but I am so lazy, I haven’t tried it on the car yet. But I polished the Motorbike with it last week (Black) and it looks great!!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/?id=55103

All the best,

Tony

Tony, you waxed your car yet??? Im tempted to get some of that Turtle Wax stuff myself.

fireclown
Friday 9th December 2005, 11:20
Meguiars here too. good stuff. works really well on black.

dan_burdock
Friday 9th December 2005, 13:38
I valet cars as a business still full employed, but valet on weekends and on nights during the summer, I was going to do out of my T5R but bought a van off ebay instead. I use Autosmart waxes and chemicals. I have used many polishes, for commercial and industrial use and autosmart gives a deeper longer lasting shine and thats easy to maintain plus its easier to clean and polish cars that I have waxed before. Non of there polishes leave white powder and they don't take any getting off. There TFR is easily the best I have used. I changed from using only autoglym and Meguiars about six mnths ago and haven't looked back.
Dan

pyrotechnictigger
Friday 9th December 2005, 14:01
Let it get dirty and wash it in spring?

BlackBeast
Friday 9th December 2005, 14:17
Let it get dirty and wash it in spring?

With all the salt on the roads :jaw:

I think before winter next year im going to be painting the underneath and re-sealing it as i noticed very small surface rust spots underneath the boot.

highgun
Friday 9th December 2005, 23:39
Tony, you waxed your car yet??? Im tempted to get some of that Turtle Wax stuff myself.

Hay Steve,

The Turtle wax only costs £6.99; give it a go on your car!

I won’t be doing mine until the next meet, when ever that is.