PDA

View Full Version : Engine Addict 850 T5R

White_T5
Saturday 3rd October 2015, 22:54
Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but just seen an advert for Jimmy de Ville's series Engine Addict on Quest. He's doing something with the 850 T5R engine on the next episode which is on Tuesday 6th at 9pm.
Haven't a clue if the program is any good as I haven't seen any of the other episodes but this one look interesting!

Cheers

The Flying Moose
Sunday 4th October 2015, 00:04
A whole hour on the t5-R. Has to be worth a watch. Cheers mate :)

Wheelspinwardrobe
Saturday 10th October 2015, 17:20
Was a great watch ;)

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 10th October 2015, 21:26
Am I the only one who wasn't overly impressed with the program?

It was a good watch, but just disappointed in the lack of details on the build and the lack of the original engine used.

GLTease
Saturday 10th October 2015, 22:20
about half way through I noticed a different cover on plugs cambelt from the one they started with, looked like the type from later S/V 70, can these be used on 850 engines?

Redbrick
Saturday 10th October 2015, 22:22
Am I the one one who wasn't overly impressed with the program?

It was a good watch, but just disappointed in the lack of details on the build and the lack of the original engine used.

It hit it's brief as entertainment for the masses. Didn't satisfy us anoraks. Would be nice if they made another version of the program for us enthusiasts but then would there be the interest in the Eastern European engine and Indian motorbike engine they previously covered in other episodes - no absolutely not!

Doingitsideways
Saturday 10th October 2015, 22:26
Yeah, it was a good watch but Jimmy DeVille is a little annoying after a while.

I also agree that there was too little info on the build, but that was probably partly because of time constraints, partly the builder keeping his info under wraps.

As has been said elsewhere, the head looks to have been changed for a VVT jobbie, along with ME7 manifold, etc.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 11th October 2015, 00:02
Sump - Modified 960 Sump, different rods, pistons, ME7 head, ME7 manifold, Exhaust, Turbo.

Then add in the stuff we don't see. What injectors, modifications to the Crank, actual head work, custom ECU......etc?

Not much of a T5-R left...

Shinsplintz 101
Sunday 11th October 2015, 00:09
What irritated me the most is that they pulled apart a perfectly good T5-r [albeit with a few cosmetic issues :)] when thy could have used a lump out of any old T5 as they are exactly the same.

The rest was TV flannel - as a certain engine builder pointed out, when the head went on it did so with no valves [which we must assume somebody noticed before they fired it up!] not to mention the other dramatic deviations from standard to get it to 700BHP - but it was nice to see the Volvo I5 get a bit of TV time none the less.

I wont be watching any more of that irritating chopisticled muppet though. He did my noodle in, especially the copious man hugging with the moustachioed Swedish dune buggy guru. I thought at one point they might elope together!?!?

The Flying Moose
Sunday 11th October 2015, 01:50
There is one positive though...

If it truly was an ME7 head and ancillaries then there's hope for Mr Wobbly yet ;)

claymore
Sunday 11th October 2015, 09:22
I look at it this way, people who don't know Volvos as well as us, now think we drive about in potentially 700bhp cars with just a few simple mods :)

The Flying Moose
Sunday 11th October 2015, 10:08
I look at it this way, people who don't know Volvos as well as us, now think we drive about in potentially 700bhp cars with just a few simple mods :)

Yep... I look forward to that conversation next time I get harased by a ripspeed driver going for some bulbs ;)

I'll just have to say it's powered by curly wurlys.

Doingitsideways
Sunday 11th October 2015, 13:52

Holy crap, you must be running 1400bhp then Colin!! :D

kmb
Sunday 11th October 2015, 14:14
Being down here in south of France I missed this episode... Just found it on Youtube if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teI-H3zvxbk

I shall give it a watch!