PDA

View Full Version : handbrake issues

nottsgreent5
Saturday 3rd October 2015, 18:14
Last year i replaced all the handbrake components ie cables,drums and shoes on my 850 managed to scrape it through a mot but ever since its got worse and worse to the point of it barley working i know how there ment to be adjusted but theres some thing not right and im abit stumped by it can any one shine a light on what im missing

The Flying Moose
Saturday 3rd October 2015, 22:14
They are just crap I'm sure of it. Perhaps your cable wants doing too?

If its any consolation I had a similar issue with the D5, handbrake shoes were something like 12% efficient, loads of meat but little adjustment. Put a brake new set of adjusted them up and 32% efficient but enough for an MOT.

On the 850 I assume you slackened the interior adjuster and have adjusted the shoes through the brakes to the point of disc not turning slackened off then re tensioned the interior cable? If so I've no chuffing idea!

stribo
Saturday 3rd October 2015, 22:31
Have the same problem with our V70R, changed shoes, adjusted them up, still wouldn't pass the MOT, in the end I got the MOTing garage to do it, I think they gave up too, as even though it came back with a pass, the handbrake felt no different, luckily it's auto, so doesn't really need it. As above though, Volvo handbrakes are crap.

t5 pete
Sunday 4th October 2015, 01:01
Never had a problem with them with decent cables donnas s70 need new cables for mot at end of this month so I will report back if I remember

PNuT
Sunday 4th October 2015, 07:32
I have had a few problems in the past with these... one think I have found to make sure of is the clips that hold the shoes to the back plate have a habit of bending slightly so make sure they hold the shoes properly!

It is also possible to fit the adjusters either way round, I suspect there is a right & wrong way though!?!

nottsgreent5
Sunday 4th October 2015, 10:04
Cheers for the tips lads like i said everythings new including the cables ill strip it all down again later and report back