PDA

View Full Version : Amazing economy from a 855 T5...

kmb
Thursday 24th September 2015, 14:02
I wouldn't normally comment on this as we all know T5's aren't usually renowned for their economy, and that's not why we buy them, however someone may be mildly interested...

Last weekend I had a mixture of long fen roads (mainly 60mph limit), dual carriageway (70mph limit) and then 20 miles on country roads (30, 40 & 60mph limits), repeated twice to a friends house and back, total distance covered was 130 miles.

I did a full tank to tank fill and calculated the economy, plus zero'd the trip computer for a mpg comparison.

Here's the shocker, there was quite a bit of traffic so the turbo wasn't very active, with harsh acceleration on only a couple of slip roads, in fact average speed for the entire trip was just under 40 mph - somehow my T5 got a reading of 41.8mpg on the trip computer over the entire trip, calculated on the full tank to tank usage it was 40.4mpg.

I'm completely amazed, it does have an M4.4 ECU running Oblark software, plus white injectors, but this economy was a very pleasant surprise.

My elderly father uses my car sometimes when I'm over in France and he assures me he's always got 35mpg in mixed country road driving, but I'd always put that down to him not knowing where the turbo lives :lol:

mike 850
Thursday 24th September 2015, 14:16
thats great, I noticed better economy going 4.4, running a gt30 and instead of my usual 22-24 im getting 26-28, this turbo is going to pay for its self :B_thumb:

kmb
Thursday 24th September 2015, 14:19
That's some good man maths as I'm sure it will get it's 'legs stretched' more frequently due to the higher fun factor! :)

Mike - Did you change to white injectors, is your ECU mapped?

mike 850
Thursday 24th September 2015, 14:22
Definitely but i'm finding because of the lag i'm a lot more selective to where it gets fully opened up so probably am using it less than before. Have you got the obd2 bluetooth with torque pro yet? works really well on the 4.4s

kmb
Thursday 24th September 2015, 14:26
Definitely but i'm finding because of the lag i'm a lot more selective to where it gets fully opened up so probably am using it less than before. Have you got the obd2 bluetooth with torque pro yet? works really well on the 4.4s

Yes, regularly playing with the ELM327 and Bluetooth, it does work really well - in fact my Galaxy S3 work phone recently got superseded and left in my hands for 'disposal' so this is now a permanent monitoring device and code reader, should it be required!

Orca2
Thursday 24th September 2015, 14:39
Mine quite regularly shows 99.9 mpg

Downhill with my foot of the gas. Long term average is about 26. Lol

Ps can you recommend a particular Bluetooth ELM there is a bewildering range of them to choose from. Torque is now available for IPhone and I am keen to get it running.

Saaamon
Thursday 24th September 2015, 14:56
Thats very impressive! Ours will do a good 35mpg gentle motorway driving or 28mpg 100mph+ motorway driving.

kmb
Thursday 24th September 2015, 15:13
Mine quite regularly shows 99.9 mpg

Downhill with my foot of the gas. Long term average is about 26. Lol

Ps can you recommend a particular Bluetooth ELM there is a bewildering range of them to choose from. Torque is now available for IPhone and I am keen to get it running.

Here's a link to the thread which I've commented on for the Bluetooth dongle:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?46602-android-app-quot-torque-quot/page2&highlight=ELM327

Mine was £4.64 delivered price... Plus a couple of Quid for Torque Pro App

Small blue things called ELM327, come with a small disc of software, but you don't need to use this.

Orca2
Thursday 24th September 2015, 15:16
Many thanks KMB I spent ages online trying to figure out what one to go for .
It is much easier when you know someone who knows .

kmb
Thursday 24th September 2015, 15:19
No problem, glad it helped.

Please don't hold me responsible for the many hours of pointless drives and playing around that will happen once this thing turns up :lol:

Orca2
Thursday 24th September 2015, 16:38
Hehe.. Can't wait. There is no such thing as a pointless drive in a T5.