PDA

View Full Version : 850 TPS question.

claymore
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 18:54
Question for the electronic gurus, I have a different throttle body I want to use on the car, the volvo 850 tps fits and bolts up perfectly, but it's reading the opposite way around, in other words when the Volvo butterfly is shut, my new throttle body is wide open. how can I swap the signal to the ecu, would it be as simple as reversing a couple of wires?

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 19:11
Question for the electronic gurus, I have a different throttle body I want to use on the car, the volvo 850 tps fits and bolts up perfectly, but it's reading the opposite way around, in other words when the Volvo butterfly is shut, my new throttle body is wide open. how can I swap the signal to the ecu, would it be as simple as reversing a couple of wires?

try measuring it with a multimeter to see what you get normally and then try different combinations to see if you can get the reverse of the previous measurements

claymore
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 19:33
try measuring it with a multimeter to see what you get normally and then try different combinations to see if you can get the reverse of the previous measurements

Already tried that mate, that's how I know it reads opposite.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 20:04
is this for the t-10 or the T-5R ????

oblark
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 20:16

If when the volvo throttle is shut you have a resistancce of 1.03 ohms and at fully open 1.9 ohms
And the other one is the other way around swapping the wires over will do nothing.

The throttle switch will need to be removed and refitted 180 degrees to get the open and closed resistance the same as the volvo TB ( I think :) )

claymore
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 20:22
If when the volvo throttle is shut you have a resistancce of 1.03 ohms and at fully open 1.9 ohms
And the other one is the other way around swapping the wires over will do nothing.

The throttle switch will need to be removed and refitted 180 degrees to get the open and closed resistance the same as the volvo TB ( I think :) )

Can't see how the tps can be rotated by 180% as there is a flat on the shaft so it can only go one way, so the only way I can see to use this TB is somehow modify the signal from the tps.

claymore
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 20:22
is this for the t-10 or the T-5R ????

This is for the T-10's new intake manifold.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 20:44
This is for the T-10's new intake manifold.

could the values be adapted in TT or have you bined off turbotuner

or could the shaft be removed completely from the tb and rotated 180 degs and then re-assembled so the flat is the other way around, think I did something similar to my 3" tb

claymore
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 20:49
could the values be adapted in TT or have you bined off turbotuner

or could the shaft be removed completely from the tb and rotated 180 degs and then re-assembled so the flat is the other way around, think I did something similar to my 3" tb

The butterfly rotates clockwise on the Volvo TB and anticlockwise on the other one.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 20:51
I think this was why my butterfly is fitted with the shaft the wrong way around (screw ends showing not the heads as normal) I did have to turn the butterfly around else it won't shut if I recall

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b526/MoleT5R/Moles%20T5%20R%20Project%20Olive/DSC_0242_zpsed2b7772.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/MoleT5R/media/Moles%20T5%20R%20Project%20Olive/DSC_0242_zpsed2b7772.jpg.html)
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b526/MoleT5R/Moles%20T5%20R%20Project%20Olive/DSCN3215_zps0cd1c22a.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/MoleT5R/media/Moles%20T5%20R%20Project%20Olive/DSCN3215_zps0cd1c22a.jpg.html)

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 21:01
studying the old pic's further, maybe a hybrid tb made from different parts from different std tb's till the desired result is achieved, as you can see the standard and 3" tb's have different tps mounting plate and different linkage arms, could the desired result be achieved by mixing the parts from the 2 tb's

claymore
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 21:08
I have had it confirmed that swapping the two outer wires over will sort it, apparently a common mod on the Lancias, cheers Dell, and when are you going to start posting on here, we all want to see your 850 project :)

Orca2
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 21:12
You might be able to remove the shaft and motor from the throttle body and put it in from the other side , this would make the butterfly work the same as your Volvo one . IE when it was turning to open it would actually close the flap.
Might not be possible to do . Just a thought .

jamesy12345
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 21:20
I have had it confirmed that swapping the two outer wires over will sort it, apparently a common mod on the Lancias, cheers Dell, and when are you going to start posting on here, we all want to see your 850 project :)

that is what it seemed to say on all the threads I found, never had time to reply cos was putting the bairn in his bed!!

Below someone made a circuit to invert the signal, then someone pointed out he could just swap the wires as you say

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=110033

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 21:21

sorted then and easier than stripping the tb and rebuilding it

yes it would be nice to see a build thread on Dell's 850

claymore
Wednesday 23rd September 2015, 21:28
Looks like the T-10 will be sporting a nice big Fiat Coupe Turbo TB then :)