PDA

View Full Version : Best brake discs and pads

Sparrowhawk
Thursday 10th September 2015, 20:53
Hi guys, I need a new set of front brake discs and pads on my 1998 V70R auto. I drive the car properly and am looking at a few track days so I'm looking for the best performance. I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers!

abdul
Thursday 10th September 2015, 22:37
Genuine volvo

stribo
Thursday 10th September 2015, 23:18
Unless you're going to be using the car on track, as above.

Orca2
Thursday 10th September 2015, 23:29
The Volvo stuff is very good for road use, most race pad compounds only work at their best when they are up to race temperature, and are not very good for normal road use, I had race pads on a Mini years ago and they were shi te for road use, worse than the standard ones, cos they never really got up to temperature on the road.
If you intend to use it on a track its probably better to swap your pads on the day.

jamesy12345
Thursday 10th September 2015, 23:34
I found DS2500's to be pretty good on the road & track also, although I'm not hard on my brakes & mine aren't a standard set up anyway...

Track day in an auto....would be a good idea to change your ATF regularly & increase the fluid cooling somehow

Doingitsideways
Thursday 10th September 2015, 23:53
^^^ What he said. ^^^

The auto 'box is one reason I've never taken the S70 on a track.
Would be ok for a couple of laps, but after that it would be starting to cook.
(Well, that and a chronic lack of talent.)

As for brakes, Standard Volvo for pottering about and light track use, Pagid not too bad either.
Never had Ferodos myself, but have never really heard much bad said about them.

Nealevo
Friday 11th September 2015, 07:14
DS2500's are great for 'spirited' use on track and fast roads, coupled with some genuine discs and you will have a good set up for standard brakes, you could always go bigger with brembo or AP options but it gets expensive then..

smithy
Friday 11th September 2015, 07:36
I used ds2500 pads on my v70 and they were brillant and lasted ages too .good brakes hot or cold .

Sparrowhawk
Friday 11th September 2015, 08:02
Cheers guys, I'll go with the genuine pads I think. Many thanks

Biff
Friday 11th September 2015, 12:46
Don't people use plod spec pads? they are supposed to be good.
Ds2500's are excellent, both my V70's wore them with great results.