PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 850 t5 main bearing sizes

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 18:07
Hia all
Sorry if this has already been covered but I'm at a loss.

I am rebuilding my 850 engine (b5234t) and I'm currently stuck on the main bearings as volvo can't find them, apparently they are colour coded however I can't find any colour on them or a reference to a colour. The long number on the bearings themselves don't coincide with the part number and cannot be found on volvos system

The bearings I'm looking to replace are the main big end bearings and the crankshaft bearings

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Si

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 18:10
The block and the crank will be stamped with a code like 1BBBBB. These codes are what determine which bearing sizes you need.

See this post
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/74291-price-sheet-engine-build/?do=findComment&comment=968849

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 18:16
Updated post above

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 18:44
Thanks dave that's very helpful :) I had a feeling that code may be related to those and I have asked Volvo about it but they seem to have no idea! do you know how those numbers would equate to part numbers and them looking them up? Thanks again

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 18:54

This is what I have, not quite the same though

oblark
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 18:58
Wrong side, have a look on the other side (180 degrees) from these numbers.

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 19:01
Lol! OK thanks il have a look in a bit. How do I explain this to volvo though?! They just keep going on about colours!

Thanks again

oblark
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 19:13
Just tell them you have for example :- a B block with a B crank

And they should be able to cross referance it from that

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 20:52
Haha oblark I like your optimism! I hope so though!
This is what I have found I assume this is what you mean? Any ideas on colours though as that's what they seem to keep going on about! 29578

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 20:52

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 20:53
6 B's and CCBCBC I think

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 21:05
There are two markings, you have the one on the block, there is also one on the crank. You have to match the two numbers together to get the colour codes in the pic below

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/gktuning/bearingselection.jpg

The 1 means start at the timing/oil pump end and there are 6 letters, one for each bearing between the cylinders. So your block is 1BBBBB, if your crank is also 1BBBBB then you'll need all Yellow bearings.

If the crank was 1CAABB and block 1BBBBB then matching the first letters for the first bearing in the line would be C and B needing a Red and a Yellow combination (for block and intermediate section respectively). The next bearing would be A and B requiring a Yellow and a Blue bearing combination.

Hope this makes sense.

Post your crank marking up (will be on the end of one of the counterweights)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 21:08
LOL, beat me to it.

So your crank is 1CCBCBC and the block is 1BBBBBB meaning you need (block and intermediate section bearings respectively):
Bearing 1 - Red (Thin) + Yellow (medium)
Bearing 2 - Red (Thin) + Yellow (medium)
Bearing 3 - Yellow (medium) + Yellow (medium)
Bearing 4 - Red (Thin) + Yellow (medium)
Bearing 5 - Yellow (medium) + Yellow (medium)
Bearing 6 - Red (Thin) + Yellow (medium)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 21:13
Also, contact FRF Swansea for the parts as you get a discount if you're a forum member (see thread below) I got my parts from them for my rebuild.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?15559-F-R-F-Motors-Volvo-Discounted-Genuine-Parts-by-Mail-Order&highlight=

Jamest5r
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 21:48
Top work Mr DD :), should make that a "sticky" thread.

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 21:48
Dangerous Dave what an absolute hero you are! It all makes sense now lol! I only wish I'd read this a bit earlier as I've just spent the past couple of hours fannying around with an unreadable Haynes manual trying to work it out for myself but the good news is it matches your maths!
I guess the only other quandary is are there different bearing types or part numbers for these engines? For some reason I randomly have a large curved Edge bearing in slot number 4 on the top and bottom but all the others are the usual flat Style. Is this common?
Thanks again

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 21:53
OK got the wrong slot from memory but hopefully can see what I mean by the different shape/style of bearing randomly in there. Pattern matches top and bottom

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 21:54
Top work Mr DD :), should make that a "sticky" thread.

Totally agree with this as this was a massive ball ache for me and Volvo at my end had absolutely no idea how to work this out

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 22:00
Dangerous Dave what an absolute hero you are! It all makes sense now lol! I only wish I'd read this a bit earlier as I've just spent the past couple of hours fannying around with an unreadable Haynes manual trying to work it out for myself but the good news is it matches your maths!
I guess the only other quandary is are there different bearing types or part numbers for these engines? For some reason I randomly have a large curved Edge bearing in slot number 4 on the top and bottom but all the others are the usual flat Style. Is this common?
Thanks again
The curved edge bearing (Volvo call it a flange bearing) I guess is to make sure there is no longitudinal movement of the crank.

Give me a couple of minutes, I'll get some part numbers for the bearings

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 22:14
Part numbers (upper being the block and lower being the intermediate section). Obviously check these part numbers are correct with Volvo as I'd look like a right plonker if you got the wrong parts.

Red, upper - 8687951
Blue, upper - 8687953
Yellow, upper - 8687952

Red, lower - 8687961
Blue, lower - 8687963
Yellow, lower - 8687962

Flange bearing, red, upper - 31216061
Flange bearing, blue, upper - 31216063
Flange bearing, yellow, upper - 31216062

Flange bearing, red, lower - 8642491
Flange bearing, blue, lower - 8642493
Flange bearing, yellow, lower - 8642492

There are also part numbers for oversize bearings but I guess that is if you are having the crank re-ground

Sometimes Volvo update the parts but can usually cross reference the old number against the updated part.

And yeah, some dealers can be a bit dodgy when it comes to complex part details as they probably don't have to deal with parts like that very often.

Hope this helps

P.S. here is a link to a US parts store where they list the part numbers for pretty much everything (link is to the crank system)
http://www.volvopartswarehouse.com/a/Volvo_1996_85023l-5-cylinder-Fuel-Injected-Turbo5DRS-SR/_51507_6237789/Crank-mechanism-5CYL--1998/GR-381886.html

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 22:18
Thanks DD you are an absolute legend and have just made my night! I was starting to get really down about this so I'm so relieved to have a bit of light at the end of the tunnel now and hopefully begin the process of putting it all back together :-) I take it those part numbers relate to the 850 b5234t engine? Don't think I need oversized judging by the quality of the ones that came out at least, probably best measure though! Thanks again

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 22:24
Thanks DD you are an absolute legend and have just made my night! I was starting to get really down about this so I'm so relieved to have a bit of light at the end of the tunnel now and hopefully begin the process of putting it all back together :-) I take it those part numbers relate to the 850 b5234t engine? Don't think I need oversized judging by the quality of the ones that came out at least, probably best measure though! Thanks again

Yup those are for the B5234T engine, probably the same for the later years x70 range too. If you click the part number in the link I added in my post above you can see how many other engines/years it was used in (just clicked one and it has 591 variants)

No need to fret about it bud, that's what we're here for :D And I know what you're going through, I've just about finished rebuilding mine :) www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?59019-Project-Polly-850-AWD

Have a fab evening

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 22:41
That engine looks great! I think it will put mine to shame when mines hopefully finished! how did you get it so clean on the outside out of interest? Mine has been hot washed a couple of times but still covered in corrosion lol

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 22:50
That engine looks great! I think it will put mine to shame when mines hopefully finished! how did you get it so clean on the outside out of interest? Mine has been hot washed a couple of times but still covered in corrosion lol
As long as you enjoy doing the rebuild and it runs sweet once finished then the exterior doesn't really matter, it's your pride and joy so have fun messing with it :D

Thank you :) I started to clean it myself but it was covered in baked on oil and the block parts were too big to intricately clean without spending a fortune on cleaning products.

There's a company local to me that does component cleaning so I just popped all the block parts down to them and they came back very clean. Then I started spraying the parts up with engine enamel, but once I started I found I needed to spray the rest up so it didn't look out of place. It'll probably all peel of within a few months but hey ho.

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 23:20
Yeah I'm really enjoying the project it's my first ever engine rebuild but I like a challenge :-) the engine seems in good condition apart from some wear on the top of the bores unfortunately :(
It's going to be too much for me to re bore so I think I will just have to live with it. Other than the top centimetre or less the rest of the bores are in very good condition so hopefully won't affect it too much. I guess if I can get it running and the tune to basically work I can always source another block over time and hopefully just replace the Block and head gasket and bolts and use the other bits without too much trouble as they shouldn't have many miles on them by then.
I love my 8:50 I would love to have an engine in there that I reconditioned, just hope it holds compression!

My other build thread:
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?60548-Volvo-850-engine-rebuild-and-exhaust-recommendations&highlight=Volvo+850+engine

Bigsi15
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 23:21
Ah I'm sure it will hold up fine buddy :-) either way it looks great as it is