PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Joe

expolicev70t5
Thursday 27th August 2015, 13:12
My ex plod now has 266k and has started to smoke, infact it bellows out smoke at an alarming rate, but only when on tick over when warm, but not all the time, if I lift revs by say 200 above tick over the smoke stops. The smoke only appears if sat at tick over for 30 sec's or more.

I have checked PCV and all seems ok, cant see any oil leaks apart from a small one on turbo, any ideas, I had thought seals on turbo but when driving or accelerating hard there is no smoke only when idling, lift revs slightly and it stops. The smoke is bluey white and smells of burnt oil.

Look forward to your thoughts.

stribo
Thursday 27th August 2015, 13:27
Sounds like turbo seals, they generally smoke on idle, because there's not much exhaust gas pressure to keep the oil inside the turbo, once up and running, the pressure increases, and the oil can't leak out.

Tee5alive
Thursday 27th August 2015, 13:58
My ex plod now has 266k and has started to smoke, infact it bellows out smoke at an alarming rate, but only when on tick over when warm, but not all the time, if I lift revs by say 200 above tick over the smoke stops. The smoke only appears if sat at tick over for 30 sec's or more.

I have checked PCV and all seems ok, cant see any oil leaks apart from a small one on turbo, any ideas, I had thought seals on turbo but when driving or accelerating hard there is no smoke only when idling, lift revs slightly and it stops. The smoke is bluey white and smells of burnt oil.

Look forward to your thoughts.

I had this exact thing when I bought my ex-plod TURBO SEALS. I bought a new CHRA on ebay for £173 but you'll need MASSIVE circlip pliers (mine are a foot long) to remove the HUGE locking ring! The trouble I found is oil then clogs the exhaust silencer material so the exhaust is a write off! The CAT should flash off after the rebuild but I recommend changing your silencers or it will continue to smoke forever!

I had a good litre of oil in my exhaust!! The cop Volvos DESTROY turbos due to the thrashing!

heres the link for the turbo CHRA they are guaranteed AND computer balanced. If you go the cheap rebuild route (seals etc) you risk a turbo imbalance which can wreck the engine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321680868449

expolicev70t5
Thursday 27th August 2015, 14:14
I had this exact thing when I bought my ex-plod TURBO SEALS. I bought a new CHRA on ebay for £173 but you'll need MASSIVE circlip pliers (mine are a foot long) to remove the HUGE locking ring! The trouble I found is oil then clogs the exhaust silencer material so the exhaust is a write off! The CAT should flash off after the rebuild but I recommend changing your silencers or it will continue to smoke forever!

I had a good litre of oil in my exhaust!! The cop Volvos DESTROY turbos due to the thrashing!

heres the link for the turbo CHRA they are guaranteed AND computer balanced. If you go the cheap rebuild route (seals etc) you risk a turbo imbalance which can wreck the engine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321680868449

That's pants as have a feritta stainless exhaust system and GWE 3" downpipe with 100 cell cat fitted. Guess I need to have a think about what to do with it then, might have to consider changing it for something else.

Ettienne
Thursday 27th August 2015, 14:38
I made my circlips pliers from a pair of needle nose pliers I ground down, rebuilt many of the td04s and currently building some 20t's (I machine the chra etc).

Just a tip go straight to turbo rebuilds it's only £150 as they pop the eBay fees straight on top, used them many many times.

I just never bother with build threads.

Oil trapped in the exhaust should burn off, turbo's deal better when hot and when pressure increases.

Ettienne
Thursday 27th August 2015, 14:44
Rebuild the old chra with a billet 18t, just remember to remove the carbon build up from people not warming up properly, especially the oil gallery return (as I call it) exhaust turbine side.

p fandango
Thursday 27th August 2015, 15:32
currently building some 20t's (I machine the chra etc)
why? the chra is the same as a 19t

Ettienne
Thursday 27th August 2015, 15:42
why? the chra is the same as a 19t

Not his 16t I was referring to (standard for his car?) hence the 18t I mentioned was rebuilding his standard chra.

Jamest5r
Thursday 27th August 2015, 15:47
Is your car smoking all the time or just as you pull off you get a cloud?

expolicev70t5
Thursday 27th August 2015, 17:38
Is your car smoking all the time or just as you pull off you get a cloud?
Just when left to idle for more than 30 seconds when warm so like when waiting at traffic lights it smokes large plumes of blue white burnt oil smelling smoke. As soon as you pull away it stops smoking. its not doing it every time I stop but it is starting to get more regular. Performance on car still seems ok.

Jamest5r
Thursday 27th August 2015, 18:14
It's your valve stem seals going mate, I don't know whereabouts you are but shem tec racing in Nottingham did mine with refurbished head for 600 quid, sorry but that's what it is.

Harvey
Thursday 27th August 2015, 18:17
If you go down a long hill 1/2 mile or so in gear no load on the engine does it smoke or do you get a big puff when you get back on the gas.

expolicev70t5
Thursday 27th August 2015, 19:48
If you go down a long hill 1/2 mile or so in gear no load on the engine does it smoke or do you get a big puff when you get back on the gas.
no no smoke. Only when sat on tick over when stopped

twr
Thursday 27th August 2015, 20:00
Stem seals mate 100% i am afraid. A friend of mine had the same problem. He thought the same. Did the turbo and it still did it. Then had the head done and it was fine. Also i am sure tc had a similar problem. It did improve his a.little but was down to stem seals. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

expolicev70t5
Thursday 27th August 2015, 20:11
r https://youtu.be/glJUZZA3M-Q
This is on first warm up

Jamest5r
Thursday 27th August 2015, 20:16
no no smoke. Only when sat on tick over when stopped

It's stems mate, I had it myself only 3 months ago on my daily v70t5, with only 174k on it so your milage is impressive :)

expolicev70t5
Thursday 27th August 2015, 20:32
https://youtu.be/T_8t7G8M2wo
And this is tick over when warm or when I sit at traffic lights

Jamest5r
Thursday 27th August 2015, 20:53
[IQUOTE=expolicev70t5;783531]
https://youtu.be/T_8t7G8M2wo
And this is tick over when warm or when I sit at traffic lights[/QUOTE]

Looking at that it could be either turbo or seals, mine never smoked like that on idle only when pulling offi but I did have a saffy that piled smoke out the back on idle and that was a blown turbo

expolicev70t5
Thursday 27th August 2015, 20:55
Is there any easy check to determine which it is?

Jamest5r
Thursday 27th August 2015, 21:23
Is there any easy check to determine which it is?

Someone clever will probably know but I don't unfortunately that's why this debate happens many times I can only comment on what's happened to me.

expolicev70t5
Friday 18th September 2015, 20:31
Well car went in for new turbo today, when I collected it tonight the garage advised me the had got v70 t5 turbo for the car only to find that the explod has larger oil feeds and large water cooling pipes so standard turbo was no good. So I now have to wait till Wednesday for plod spec turbo to hopefully get the smoking stopped.