PDA

View Full Version : Alloy refurbishment... shot blast v baked...

Spooky
Sunday 23rd August 2015, 17:56
So I have 2 that I need refurbished and 2 options. I can use a company that bakes the alloy to remove the previous paint and another who will shot blast.

I've been told that baking can weaken the alloy and if it hits enough potholes the alloy will crack.

Anyone any comments on this as I don't have a clue lol

twr
Sunday 23rd August 2015, 18:04
I am not to judge but i have been told the same a while back mate, aparently its down to the temerature.

Harvey
Sunday 23rd August 2015, 18:22
I think most wheel firms ,acid or shot to strip the wheel rim,then baking at Around 60-90 deg at the end to set the paint or powder coat off.
Never heard of baking to remove old paint.

Blackdog
Sunday 23rd August 2015, 18:22
Chemical strip and powder coat is the way forward mate.

That's how the others were done.

Tee5alive
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 08:28
NORMALISING is the problem with bakes - the wheels need to be allowed to COOL slowly IN THE OVEN until cold to normalise the metal molecules. As this takes time and oven space up - companies just pull them out with oven gloves and leave them IN THE COLD to cool off - its this that weakens the wheels, same with steel or most metals. :nono:

FAST COOLING hardens the molecules and makes them brittle. Take an ordinary cold chisel sharpen it, blowlamp the end until red and dunk it - HARD AS **** but wears out quick!

Like Blackdog says above :B_thumb:

Spooky
Wednesday 26th August 2015, 10:02
thanks guys... looks like the £45 a wheel then rather than the £23 :)