PDA

View Full Version : What's the idea behind reversing the intercooler pipes?

CAMO
Monday 17th August 2015, 09:56
Just wanted to know what is the advantage of reversing the pipes over- seen it done a few times now, and what parts do I need/ if any if I go down this road???

twr
Monday 17th August 2015, 10:05
It gives the turbo colder air intakes and also helps the turbo to spool up quicker.

jamesy12345
Monday 17th August 2015, 10:11
Looks like this

Normal

Reversed

Part numbers below
http://www.wothrline.com/Cars_engine/HW/intercooler_pipes.htm

Biff
Monday 17th August 2015, 11:23
Originally the pipes were in the reversed sequence but Volvo were finding the throttle body was freezing in colder climates. Not likely your tb will freeze over here so reverse them & reap the benefits. Made a big difference to my 18t on my R. Bit gutted I never got around to it on my t5 before I sold it.

CAMO
Monday 17th August 2015, 14:35
Do I need new pipes then?

CAMO
Monday 17th August 2015, 14:37
Is that what an RIP kit is then?

Biff
Monday 17th August 2015, 15:10
I bought a silicone hose kit from sfs & then discovered the rip kit idea. I managed to make a kit from the sfs kit & a few choice pipes off ebay but in all honesty it didn't look as good as kit you see on here.
Depends on if you want a cheap functional kit or something that looks the part.
The do88 kits retail about £280 & there are a few gwe kits knocking about usually for about £130 used.
It might be worth speaking to Graeme welch to see if he can make you one up but I'm not sure how often he comes on vpcuk lately.

CAMO
Monday 17th August 2015, 15:20
That sounds expensive, how much of 'a gain' do you get for that?

Biff
Monday 17th August 2015, 15:53
I wouldn't quote figures as I don't honestly believe you will get any power from it.
I found that the throttle response & lag on my 18t was much better, it was by far the best mod I carried out although others have said they felt it was the same.
I think it all boils down to what spec you are at with yours as to whether it will make a difference.
My R had a full de-cat Jetex duplex system & a forge actuator with a yellow spring so its possible that the rip kit "free'd" up the breathing.
I bought a silicone hose kit as my hoses had gone soft & were collapsing under full boost. The kit was £130 but when it comes to a high performance engine like the t5 I think it pays to use uprated parts when it comes to boost delivery.

p fandango
Monday 17th August 2015, 16:28
i made mine from silicone joint & straight tubes of aluminium. I'd already got the standard Volvo rip kit, but enlarging the diameter removed so much lag from the 19t it totally transformed it

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Latest/IMG_0859_zps65b1ccc0.jpg

CAMO
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 09:18
wow, you stripped all the plastic bits away?

Biff
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 09:25
wow, you stripped all the plastic bits away?

He stripped everything. Pedro is a big fan of weight saving.

p fandango
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 10:03
except for when it comes to dieting myself lol

stribo
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 10:16
Yep, it's the lightest Volvo 850 garden ornament in the country, although Judgeninja runs him close. ;)

Ettienne
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 10:27
Wayne's is / has been scrapped now

Biff
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 11:33
except for when it comes to dieting myself lol

I'm with you on that one!! Waste not, want not & all that. ;)

ExternalError
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 11:48
it wont really give you any noticeable gains in its self, it does as mentioned improve spool time due to the air taking a more direct route rather than around a lot of bends. Its generally consider a good supporting mod to enhance other upgrades such as a remap on the newer Volvos the rip pipework is standard.

stribo
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 13:15
Wayne's is / has been scrapped now
He kept that quiet.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 21:41
it wont really give you any noticeable gains in its self, it does as mentioned improve spool time due to the air taking a more direct route rather than around a lot of bends. Its generally consider a good supporting mod to enhance other upgrades such as a remap on the newer Volvos the rip pipework is standard.

and also it is massively shorter than the standard set-up, so in turn reduces the volume that needs compressing at each gear-change or foot off/ back on situations, thus improved spool/response times..:)

ExternalError
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 21:47
and also it is massively shorter than the standard set-up, so in turn reduces the volume that needs compressing at each gear-change or foot off/ back on situations, thus improved spool/response times..:)

:biggrin:

CAMO
Wednesday 19th August 2015, 08:49
Ta folks, very detailed explanation. I'll probably spend my money on a more noticable mod- RICA etc... I don't find spooling time and issue, plus I'm running an auto!

p fandango
Wednesday 19th August 2015, 10:20
Yep, it's the lightest Volvo 850 garden ornament in the country
soon to be a garage ornament thank you lol