PDA

View Full Version : Vapour/ smoke coming from oil filler?

Tee5alive
Sunday 16th August 2015, 18:18
Still having this idling problem with an engine light on but I need it for work as the C70 has failed its MOT on brakes.

Its drivable but the revs are hunting when sitting at lights - feels like the ETM again?

BUT just went out to move the car ready for my 04:30 start for work - took the oil filler off and SMOKE or something coming out only wisps nothing serious not seen it before - but no pressure behind it when you put your hand over it? Is this the PTC going now :( ALL I NEED!!

DONT think its the PCV and the PTC ) if thats the valve stuck in the side of the air intake hose from the filter) Ive had off and thoroughly cleaned during the turbo upgrade?

ta

UPDATE just had a shufti and found a TINY pipe off the diaphragm on the turbo - chucked it on IDLING SORTED?? The RAC bloke even missed that!!! I thought that didnt even matter as I was going to blank off that port!

jamesy12345
Sunday 16th August 2015, 19:30
If you have a silicone glove pop that over the filler neck (with the cap off & engine idling). If it inflates that can be an indicator that the PCV is blocked but tbh it is a service item & will need doing by now if not in the history

Tee5alive
Sunday 16th August 2015, 19:56
Thanks Jamesy I tried the glove and nothing - so must be something else

AcidicDavey
Sunday 16th August 2015, 20:23
UPDATE just had a shufti and found a TINY pipe off the diaphragm on the turbo - chucked it on IDLING SORTED?? The RAC bloke even missed that!!! I thought that didnt even matter as I was going to blank off that port!

I can't help with the smoke but I would like Jamesy suggest you to just replace the PCV system, the parts are about £100 for it.

With that quoted bit though, it wouldn't idle nicely with that pipe off the recirc valve as you are letting air out, i.e. a leak.
If you were to blank it off it would be fine, just possibly reduce the life of your turbo :)

Tee5alive
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 14:24
well today driving to work pulled of the Mway into normal roads and stopped and the idling is massively hunting now up to 2 grand :( Had a quick look all I could do with a white hot engine - saw oil traces around the ETM pipes so possible loose here? (Its still clearing oil out of the intercooler after I replaced the old blown one hence the oil - I flushed the rad but its only small galleries)

ALSO I am hearing turbo howl????? as I put the hammer down - a loud wwweeeEEEEEEE- HISSS- (waste gate)......weeeEEEEEE SO its possible my compo side on the the turbo has a loose jubilee? My C70 I can NEVER heard the turbo only a faint waste gate noise!

opinions/ ideas please?? This is SERIOUSLY knobbing me off as one TINY air leak is giving me an engine light and like 5 MPG!!!

LeeT5
Thursday 24th September 2015, 00:54
well today driving to work pulled of the Mway into normal roads and stopped and the idling is massively hunting now up to 2 grand :( Had a quick look all I could do with a white hot engine - saw oil traces around the ETM pipes so possible loose here? (Its still clearing oil out of the intercooler after I replaced the old blown one hence the oil - I flushed the rad but its only small galleries)

ALSO I am hearing turbo howl????? as I put the hammer down - a loud wwweeeEEEEEEE- HISSS- (waste gate)......weeeEEEEEE SO its possible my compo side on the the turbo has a loose jubilee? My C70 I can NEVER heard the turbo only a faint waste gate noise!

opinions/ ideas please?? This is SERIOUSLY knobbing me off as one TINY air leak is giving me an engine light and like 5 MPG!!!

More than likely a split or loose Boost pipe. Assuming you've fixed it by now?