PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 miles to the gallon.......

oblark
Saturday 15th August 2015, 16:17
How many miles to the gallon.

Had to use the 240 to do the weekly shop today, it’s only 7 miles they and 7 miles back. As I was about 3 miles from Asda I started to smell petrol then the smell went so I thought no more about it. As I’m pulling up in the carpark I noticed the petrol gauge had dropped like a stone, parked the car up and turned it off, then the smoke started coming out from under the bonnet so I popped the bonnet to discover the drivers side of the engine bay covered in petrol and the petrol fed pipe from the tank was leaking petrol so I shut the bonnet and went and did my shopping.

On return I had brought some cable ties, duct tape and mircofibre cloths along with my normal shopping. Firstly I cable tied the petrol fed pipe to stop it from moving then wrapped the fitting with duct tape then wrapped in a microfibre cloth. Then I had to put some fuel to get me home, knowing what the garage is like for petrol leaks I pulled up by a pump stuck £20 in, paid for it, then put the car in gear held the clutch down started the car, dropped the clutch and I was gone.

About 4 miles from home the £20 worth of fuel had gone so I stopped off at the garage by The Vine, stuck another £32 in it and left a large oily/petrol puddle on the floor, same trick again put the car in gear, started it and off. Lucky there’s a good 2 miles of dualcarridge from the garage to the out skirts of Romsey and the fast I went the less fuel I leaked.

When I got home I could see a trail of petrol back up the road from I’d been. Luck enough I’ve got a braided stainless fuel line which has now been fitted and all sorted. From what I can see it looks like the olive hasn’t been crimped properly. So a 14 mile shopping trip has cost me £52 worth of petrol. Which is roughly 1.4 miles to the gallon.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/Project%20240/20150815_144527.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oblark/media/Project%20240/20150815_144527.jpg.html)

Harvey
Saturday 15th August 2015, 17:07
O dear that's mpg is about as bad as it gets.
Looks like the hose end wasn't pushed into the fitting and the olive was only half on looking inside it,just glad the fire service didn't get a bit of training at your expense..

jamesy12345
Saturday 15th August 2015, 17:28
Lucky

Ettienne
Saturday 15th August 2015, 20:42
at least you didn't BBQ it

claymore
Saturday 15th August 2015, 21:09
That's not far off what I used at Prescott hill climb the last time I did it, I used £20 in six runs up the hill, which is about 6 miles.