PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 850 2.3 t5 oil leak

Winky
Saturday 15th August 2015, 14:29
Hello I am new to the forum having only just purchased my 1996 850 T5 last week, great car but has an oil leak. I am not Mr Mechanic by any stretch of the imagination so please bear with me, I am pretty sure it is oil and not transmission fluid, it does seem to be coming from the sump. Is there anywhere in particular I should be looking, is there a vulnerable seal anywhere?

Many thanks

Simon

M-R-P
Saturday 15th August 2015, 14:56
Welcome aboard Simon.
Have a look at the oil filter on the sump, it may not be done up properly.
Have a look at the back of the engine (from underneath) as it may be the turbo leaking.
Ifits coming from the join between the block and gearbox, you've got knackered crank seal which is big job to sort (gearbox and clutch off)

claymore
Saturday 15th August 2015, 15:20
most common oil leak on the t5 is the turbo oil return pipe, a new 'O' ring for a couple of quid will sort it if it is the oil return pipe.

twr
Saturday 15th August 2015, 18:44
Where you located, I am sure one of us could be local to you and possibly take a look. We are all a friendly bunch on here. But like said the most common is the turbo oil seal on the return, or if your really lucky a sump plug. Worse case is if it's coming from the small cut out at the bottom of the bell housing it's the main oil seal. If your an auto you won't really be affected hugely but manaul and the clutch will become contaminated and slip . Also check your pcv. Get the car up to normal temp then remove your dipstick. If smoke comes out you have a blocked pcv which causes the main seal to blow.
T