PDA

View Full Version : r front suspension sitting very high???????

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 19:42
hey right i have just fitted bilstein b4's all round to my 855 r with t5 springs on the back and the standard R springs on the front.
the rear sits really nice but the front is on stilts, about 3-4" higher than it was. it looks like a standard t5!
ive took the front shocks back off and double checked everything is right. so whats going on?????????

ive got some 40mm lowering springs coming soon but i still want to know whats going on. surly the high is set by the springs not the struts, so in theory the front should be the same height

im worryed now as the r springs are 30mm lower so putting 40mm springs on the front isnt going to change anything.

any help aprichiated

cheers

twr
Friday 14th August 2015, 19:47
Have you driven it mate? They usually settle a little not much mind.

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 19:49
ya done about 100 miles, they have gone from about 4.5" to about 3.5".

it looks so soddin stupid

twr
Friday 14th August 2015, 19:50
Strange, sorry I can't help you with that one mate

Jamest5r
Friday 14th August 2015, 20:17
Wrong springs or get a fat bird to accompany you that helps :)

t5 pete
Friday 14th August 2015, 20:17
Are you sure they are R springs also Iirc the R spring ar either 15 or 20mm shorter.
I'll send you a pic tomorrow of the 40mm ones how they sit

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 20:46
cheers pete nice one, tbh i did think they could be the wrong springs ie t5 ones but there the same ones i took off and it sat alot lower???

i have been looking for pics of 850 R's 40mm lower but you can never tell if there on collies or just standard height lol

twr
Friday 14th August 2015, 20:48
Mine is also on 40mm springs, will get a pic tomorrow to compare

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 20:50
hahaha it might sit lob sided then. i might have to put some weight on aswell!!!!

i ment to ask you a while back james when you converted to manual did you notice a jerking when you let of the throttle.

me and immi both did ours at around the same time and they both do it. the same bloody problem i had with my green t5 (the reason why i sold it)

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 20:50
cheers pal :)

AcidicDavey
Friday 14th August 2015, 20:58
Are the new shocks a lot longer that what was removed? Maybe that could be the difference? Confusing...

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 21:03
tbh i didn't check, with them being bilstein oem replacments.

maybe they are t5 springs and the old soggy shocks made it sink a little

T5G
Friday 14th August 2015, 22:15
I bought a brand new set of t5r springs from Volvo fitted with new sach dampers and it looked like it was on stilts as well. Waited a couple of months and drove over a few speed bumps and it came down a little but still too high. I spoke to Volvo and they confirmed it was the correct spring for the t5r. I then bought a set of Eibachs and the ride height was much lower as soon as they were fitted.

Jamest5r
Friday 14th August 2015, 22:31
hahaha it might sit lob sided then. i might have to put some weight on aswell!!!!

i ment to ask you a while back james when you converted to manual did you notice a jerking when you let of the throttle.

me and immi both did ours at around the same time and they both do it. the same bloody problem i had with my green t5 (the reason why i sold it)

Hard to say really as I've got a 3" tb so is a bit snappy anyway, try adjusting the cable as your using a auto cable on a manual ie the smaller sprog but you can't get the manual cables anymore

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 22:40
ahhh right i wont be fitting a 3" tb then lol. its so anoying as soon as you lift of the throttle it jerks/bucks like the throttle is shutting to soon. you look like a learner kangarooing haha!

ya i know i searched high and low, i have shortened the cable housing so it exposes more of the cable so basically a manual cable that fits on the bigger sprog:B_thumb:
my old one did it only with a rica in but that was a standard manual. it was fine with a standard map in. its a weird one

no1tosh
Friday 14th August 2015, 22:43
i rang volvo a while back about gettin some new R front springs which im asuming are the same as t5r ones, and they said they dont do them any more hence sticking with the old ones.

ahhh well lets hope the 40mm ones make it sit nice again:B_thumb: