PDA

View Full Version : Is £100 a fair price to pay....

Spooky
Saturday 8th August 2015, 22:27
.... for the rear bumper on an R respraying?

Unfortunately the previous owners clearly never bothered to use the cover when they put anything in the boot and its in a pretty bad state.

Went to see a chap today about getting some of the dents sorted and spent a good 45 mins chatting with him and hes going to do the whole car for me. He has his own business and staff and runs a fleet of vans doing mobile accident repairs as well as his own body shop and i've not found anyone saying anything bad about him.

They mix all their own paints and he assures me that if i do it in stages (bumper first, then roof/bonnet/roof spoiler/front bumper, then the sides) the colour will all match ( simply dont have £1500 to shell out all in one go and doing it like this is perfect for me)

I've also seen some of his work and its looks extremely good indeed. I've looked into the guy deeply and looked at his work as this is my pride and joy and whilst she still looks amazing from a distance, up close she does need a little help and I want her to keep looking good for a long time to come :)

Any thoughts anyone?

t5 pete
Saturday 8th August 2015, 22:29
You've answered your own question as to weather to use him you've done all the research and it's come back good and £100 a bumper is a great price normally expect to pay £250 a bumper

AcidicDavey
Saturday 8th August 2015, 22:31
That's a very fair price. And if you've seen his work and you're happy then that's the sign to get the car booked in ;)

Spooky
Saturday 8th August 2015, 22:37
this is just what i want to hear... cheers guys!!

Its then £400 for the roof, bonnet and roof spoiler, then £900 for the rest :) and he assures me that it will defo comeback Nautic Blue (same as your AD i believe ;) ) and he went on to explain there are probably about 4 different variants of the colour but he will make sure its the same as whats on there now.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 8th August 2015, 22:45
I estimate ~£300 per panel. People that undercut each other are cutting corners somewhere unless they are doing it for free. My Volvo paint was £200/litre.

Spooky
Saturday 8th August 2015, 22:49
I estimate ~£300 per panel. People that undercut each other are cutting corners somewhere unless they are doing it for free. My Volvo paint was £200/litre.

They mix there own based on the code, would that be something i need to be concerned about?

Ideally i would have preferred not to have a full respray and keep the original, but at some point she's had a new wing as its a different shade to the rest of the car and the bonnet has been resprayed as well because you can see the hazing in it so that's kind of taken the originality keeping out it a little.

t5 pete
Saturday 8th August 2015, 22:56

Youch glad I didn't buy volvos own paint and tbh it will only be mixed the same as any other manufacturer.
I went with valspur for mine

no1tosh
Saturday 8th August 2015, 23:01
what i would do pal is have them mixx all the paint you will need for all the work you are having done. oviously you will have to pay for it but then you stand the best chance of a consistant colour match.

all it can take si 0.1g under or over to alter a colour. 0.1g of tinter is basically 1 drip.

also gun preasure, gun distance, humidaty, temp and speed of flash off and clear coat thickness can all effect colour.

my advice is to save up and have it all done in one hit, then you know it will be right and you will have an even peel in your clear aswell

hope this helps

Nealevo
Sunday 9th August 2015, 09:13
That's a great price, my front was £700 but it did need a slight repair.

yorkshire R
Sunday 9th August 2015, 09:36
whats the name of the company spooky?

Spooky
Sunday 9th August 2015, 10:05
whats the name of the company spooky?

It's Mobile Smart Repairs mate. Guys name is Nathan. If you want their number let me know :)

yorkshire R
Sunday 9th August 2015, 10:59
i thought it might of been the same company i used from your way,there called kiwicolour and have done 2 great jobs for me