PDA

View Full Version : FK High Tech Suspension Kit

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 10:49
Morning all,

Nothing particularly wrong with my 855 T5 suspension, just the usual vagueness and wallowy feel compared to tighter packages, however if it passes the MOT next week I might reward it with new shocks and springs.

I've seen this FK kit and it gets reasonable reviews on other car types, has anyone got any experience of it on an 850 or V70?

Additionally the price varies wildly, I have seen it on offer before for less than £200, other places £400, so if someone has a trusted good value supplier then please let me know.

Just as additional info - The car will not be tracked or driven around crazily on the road, occasional enthusiastic bursts with mechanical sympathy is more my style, so sacrificing comfort and getting crazy coilovers is totally uneccessary :)

jamesy12345
Thursday 6th August 2015, 11:01
Sounds suspiciously cheap to me. Unless you can have a go in someone's car with the same set up I would be wary of them - it's still at least a couple of hundred quid to spend and a few hours of work.

I rate the Bilstein stuff - if you are staying with standard springs, B4's are supposed to be OK (no personal experience)...I have B6's with Eibach springs & they are good for me on road & track, not too hard either.

Link for B4's
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/index.php?cPath=2_25_154_437

twr
Thursday 6th August 2015, 12:05
I've had many coilover kits over the years. Fk are the better budget coilovers. But only expect to get 18 months out of them as they ain't the best.

Jamest5r
Thursday 6th August 2015, 12:55
Wouldn't bother with that kit, :)

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 13:11
Sounds suspiciously cheap to me. Unless you can have a go in someone's car with the same set up I would be wary of them - it's still at least a couple of hundred quid to spend and a few hours of work.

I rate the Bilstein stuff - if you are staying with standard springs, B4's are supposed to be OK (no personal experience)...I have B6's with Eibach springs & they are good for me on road & track, not too hard either.

Link for B4's
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/index.php?cPath=2_25_154_437

Thanks, I have seen the following £250 kit also on PFS, mentioned to me by Kingsford:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=7655

Saaamon
Thursday 6th August 2015, 15:13
Thanks, I have seen the following £250 kit also on PFS, mentioned to me by Kingsford:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=7655

I bought that kit years ago and was very unimpressed, removed it after a month.

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 15:16
Interesting to hear, poor ride and handling? I am suspicious of putting slightly lower suspension on std firmness shocks.

Don't suppose it's still kicking around in your cupboards Saaamon?

I'm sure it would be better than my 138k mile original suspension :)

The Flying Moose
Thursday 6th August 2015, 15:54
What is your aim with the suspension?

The Koni fsd, sports kit and adjustables have always been a good option at around 600 quid and improve ride, handling and lower at the same time.

Standard feel go with a bilstein setup as jamesy says.

Cool overs best kit for feel, value and longevity has to be the bc racing coilovers.

Jamest5r
Thursday 6th August 2015, 15:57
You can purchase my koni adjustables when I up grade my suspension :)

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 6th August 2015, 16:06
I have FK's on my V40.... The ride is like being sat in a go kart with no suspension travel. If you like having passengers in your car then avoid coil overs unless they are fully adjustable to a wimpy soft setting for everyday use.

However I don't like my passengers so I love them!!

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 16:09
You can purchase my koni adjustables when I up grade my suspension :)

Well... If the price/condition is right it sounds good, PM please! Thanks.

The Flying Moose
Thursday 6th August 2015, 16:12
Kmb, where abouts in Suffolk are you? Your always welcome to try my car which has koni adjustables to get a feel.

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 21:07
What is your aim with the suspension?

The Koni fsd, sports kit and adjustables have always been a good option at around 600 quid and improve ride, handling and lower at the same time.

Standard feel go with a bilstein setup as jamesy says.

Cool overs best kit for feel, value and longevity has to be the bc racing coilovers.

As per the original post really, not wanting to hoon around corners too much, but a firmer and slightly lower ride, less wallowing and a taughter feel, whilst replacing and refreshing the original shocks is the potential plan :)

I'm usually at the parent's place in Sudbury Suffolk, so quite a way from you down on the Essex border, but thanks for the kind offer. I have a house near Needham Market which would have been closer, but I'm living in south of France at the moment for 9 months of the year, back UK side next week for a few days though!

Saaamon
Friday 7th August 2015, 00:14
Interesting to hear, poor ride and handling? I am suspicious of putting slightly lower suspension on std firmness shocks.

Don't suppose it's still kicking around in your cupboards Saaamon?

I'm sure it would be better than my 138k mile original suspension :)

I do still have them and the front units are currently on the car whilst my other units are being serviced. They are however kept as spares.

I may of had to higher expectations of the kit but I didn't feel it lowered the car enough but mainly the handling had barely improved and still had that boat like feeling to it. I briefly drove the car the other week with the fronts back on and it just reconfirmed this.

Definitely worth getting the right kit for your intended use and expectations. I'm a fan of Koni's had rear units on the back of mine for and month and a friend of mine has them on his R and rates them.

martin_r_smith
Friday 7th August 2015, 06:59
I have eibach pro springs and bilstein b4's and it drives very nice compares to stock. Sits at a nice height and corners nice and level, but i don't think they would be suitable if real aggressive track stuff was the target.