PDA

View Full Version : Keys and Fobs, Volvo 850 1996

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 08:36
Morning all,

As part of my ongoing light restoration I thought it would be nice to have a spare fob and key for my car.

I've therefore just done the usual thing and purchased the two button remote fob (one bigger button above the other smaller button) from Ebay, I know there are two frequencies of fob that essentially look the same, I think these are either 433Mhz or 413Mhz, but decided I was willing to take a risk as the fob was cheap, plus the car it came from also had the same glass break sensor alarm... We'll see next week if I got lucky when it comes to the reprogramming.

The question I've been unable to answer via the Search is if I go to get a non-Volvo key blank cut to accompany the fob as a spare, will there be some sort of immobiliser or induction part included in the Volvo key; meaning it's not an easy cut key blank to get a working spare that will start the car?

I'm happy to just keep the remote fob as a spare (presuming I get lucky on the frequency), but it would also be nice to have a back-up key if it doesn't involve main stealer prices for the luxury.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shinsplintz 101
Thursday 6th August 2015, 12:04
You can get new fobs from Volvo for £45, there are 2 frequency, just tell them your number plate & you should get the right one. The earlier keys can be cut, hollow black plastic key top, the later solid keys with the immobiliser chip you'll need to get from a main dealer & coded.

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 13:13
My key is the solid type (1996), sounds like I won't be obtaining a spare, or at least one which will start the car!

Shinsplintz 101
Thursday 6th August 2015, 17:43
I have heard of a get around where you take the immobiliser chip out of the key you have & adhere it to the barrel area so bypassing the immobiliser then just get normal non Volvo spare keys cut that will work the doors & turn the ignition over. It's been done, I'm sure I've seen a post on one of the forums somewhere, but would be good if someone else could chip in to confirm?!?!

Jamest5r
Thursday 6th August 2015, 18:23
Yep I have that "mod" on my V70 :)

kmb
Thursday 6th August 2015, 21:01
I can imagine I'd bugger up the immobiliser chip thing and then end up needing two keys :lol:

Barcelona joe
Sunday 29th November 2015, 10:11
Try RUFE or SCANDIX , PART NUMBER 9442981 for my 1996 R, VOLVO GUARD
15SECONDS TO PROGRAMME FOB, JOB DONE.

kmb
Sunday 29th November 2015, 17:30
Ah - Since this thread the guy that previously owned my car found a spare key and remote fob in his spare room, these were sent onward to me so no need to buy now :)

Harvey
Sunday 29th November 2015, 17:38
Ah - Since this thread the guy that previously owned my car found a spare key and remote fob in his spare room, these were sent onward to me so no need to buy now :)

Its a good idea to get the keys posted to a different address to where the car lives ,just in case they get lost in the post..

kmb
Sunday 29th November 2015, 19:57
Its a good idea to get the keys posted to a different address to where the car lives ,just in case they get lost in the post..

Good advice (this is actually what happened) :)

jdavis
Monday 30th November 2015, 18:44
what they got lost?

kmb
Monday 30th November 2015, 19:43
I only got one key and fob when the car was bought, the second key and fob turned up at the previous owner's house nearly a year later and got sent to me, via a different address ;)