PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump location/testing. V70 2.0D dead

Timo.
Thursday 30th July 2015, 16:59
Well the V70 2.0D died with the wife on the motorway today.

Apparently just lost power and coasted to the side of the road.

Wont start at all but turns over fine. Have managed to check codes on my bluetooth phone which gives two faults.

P0101 "MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW "A" CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE"

P010F "MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW SENSOR A/B CORRELATION"

I wonder if its the fuel pump as I cant hear it doing anything but then I didn't really used to pay attention but I guess it would prime from the tank surely?

Help.

Timo.
Sunday 2nd August 2015, 10:21
No fuel pump at tank.

All fuses seem fine.

Baffled :(

AAnickmac
Tuesday 4th August 2015, 18:10
Have you changed the mass air flow meter? Checked wiring to it? The loom is quite tight on this engine and can break internally. Try disconnecting the air flow meter and seeing if it starts then. We're there any other codes?

Timo.
Tuesday 4th August 2015, 19:15
Tried it unplugged. Made no difference.

No other codes.

Currently sat in my local garage who are working their way through possible issues. No results yet.

AAnickmac
Tuesday 4th August 2015, 23:02
They do also have injector faults which will cause it to cut out and not start. But normally will give you a code. How good is your ecu code reader?

Timo.
Wednesday 5th August 2015, 13:46
My ECU code reader is a bluetooth mobile phone special. The local garage has had it hooked up to their code reader and found nothing.

Biff
Wednesday 5th August 2015, 14:39
Fuel pump relay?
I'm just going off the fact you don't hear the pump prime. Don't quote me but aren't diesel pumps a more mechanical affair & under the bonnet?

jamesy12345
Wednesday 5th August 2015, 14:46
Fuel pump relay?
I'm just going off the fact you don't hear the pump prime. Don't quote me but aren't diesel pumps a more mechanical affair & under the bonnet?

There will be a lift pump also

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93688

//edit oh no there isn't - reading that thread there is only a HP pump on the...S40 2.0D anyway

Timo.
Thursday 6th August 2015, 10:41
Well its bad news for me.

Half the teeth have been stripped from the cambelt, the tensioner is gone, camshaft is snapped so that means carnage inside the engine.

Currently hunting for a new engine. :(

jamesy12345
Thursday 6th August 2015, 11:04
Sorry to hear that, any idea what was the cause?

Timo.
Thursday 6th August 2015, 11:19
I'm guessing the tensioner has left go and allowed it to all go wrong after that. Water pump is fine so that hasn't seized.

Currently making calls to breakers for new engine.

Biff
Thursday 6th August 2015, 14:31
Sorry to hear your bad news. Hope its fixed without a massive cost.
Good luck finding an engine & the fitting.

Timo.
Thursday 6th August 2015, 15:47
One place quoted £1000 + vat for engine.

Next place quoted £750 including vat + delivery.

Guess which one I went with? Its done 80k. New cambelt and clutch going in at the same time. £££££ big bill to follow

jamesy12345
Thursday 6th August 2015, 16:10
One place quoted £1000 + vat for engine.

Next place quoted £750 including vat + delivery.

Guess which one I went with? Its done 80k. New cambelt and clutch going in at the same time. £££££ big bill to follow

not cheap but not so bad for a modern diesel engine. Good that you thought to put a new cambelt on, don't want to repeat of what happened. What about the tensioner on the new unit is that OK

Timo.
Thursday 6th August 2015, 16:40
Most cambelts kits come with new tensioner. Will double check