PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs coming out of seats when on lift or getting air???

Couper
Monday 27th July 2015, 16:42
Hi,

Read a few things about lowering springs coming out of the seats if the car is on a lift.

I want to put lowering springs on my 940 but an worried that the springs will come out of their mounts and cause an accident if I get air?

I had my 940 estate on a lift and was amazed how far the rear drops!!!!!

How do you get through an MOT with these?

Thanks

jamesy12345
Monday 27th July 2015, 16:57
Hi,

Read a few things about lowering springs coming out of the seats if the car is on a lift.

I want to put lowering springs on my 940 but an worried that the springs will come out of their mounts and cause an accident if I get air?

I had my 940 estate on a lift and was amazed how far the rear drops!!!!!

How do you get through an MOT with these?

Thanks

I've never had any problems with lowering spring coming out of their seats. Have you tried driving less like the Dukes Of Hazzard?

This guy modified the ends of his springs to keep them in.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/archive/index.php/t-282887.html

I guess he means flattening the spring ends off so that they are gripped by the seat

Couper
Monday 27th July 2015, 19:17
I don't drive like the Dukes of Hazzard!!

I live out in the sticks with some really challenging roads and a number of hump back bridges where one side drops away significantly and there is no sign to warn you. I want to make sure that if my Mrs is driving the car with our baby boy in that there is no risk of an accident.

Having seen mention of springs dropping out and seeing how far the rear suspension drops when the car is on a lift I wanted to make sure there was not a risk and if there was whether I could address it.

Thanks for the advice, all help is much appreciated.

M-R-P
Monday 27th July 2015, 19:24
I was suggested shorter shocks when one of my rest springs popped out on a lift. (I did provoke it).

claymore
Monday 27th July 2015, 19:40
Just make some clips to hold them in, or even jubilee clips.

Orca2
Monday 27th July 2015, 20:14
I am just about to fit 40 mm lowered springs and new struts, Holstein do a set of struts and shocks specifically for lowered springs to keep the springs under some compression even when the suspension is at the top of its range. B6 struts are recommended for up to 40 mm lowering.

jamesy12345
Monday 27th July 2015, 20:36
I don't drive like the Dukes of Hazzard!!

I live out in the sticks with some really challenging roads and a number of hump back bridges where one side drops away significantly and there is no sign to warn you. I want to make sure that if my Mrs is driving the car with our baby boy in that there is no risk of an accident.

Having seen mention of springs dropping out and seeing how far the rear suspension drops when the car is on a lift I wanted to make sure there was not a risk and if there was whether I could address it.

Thanks for the advice, all help is much appreciated.

hehe no offence meant - it just tickled me the thought of getting air in a 940

AshDVS
Tuesday 28th July 2015, 11:36
Lowering springs, assuming they're the right springs for your car, should always be captured at full suspension droop, so wont fall out.
ie. their free length needs to be long enough that they're still under a little tension when your car is off the ground.

Of course, if you take to them with an angle grinder, its possible that they'll be too short for this to be the case but if you buy decent springs, intended for use on your make/model then all will be well. :)

Couper
Wednesday 29th July 2015, 21:59
None taken Jamesy12345 :)

However back in the 90's at 17 years old I got lots of air in 940's ;)

AshDVS - Thanks for the reassurance - had no intention to cutting springs - If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly :)

dionbullock
Thursday 30th July 2015, 10:20
Arent there any retaining washers/bolts on the bottom cups on the 940 like on the 240? Which are a pain the undo!

classicswede
Thursday 30th July 2015, 22:10
The seats are not as good in the 940 as in the 240 so correct length shocks are more important for holding the springs correctly in place. With most 40mm lowering springs the full length dampers are fine. When lowering more you need shorter dampers, I have them available on my site and have lower lowering springs